PDA

View Full Version : Time to make some noise!

adeypoop
February 7th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Ubuntu: It's time to tackle the marketing machine, open source style

See this link.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1207

Because Linux is open source, it depends upon its community for so much. This time around, I would ask the Ubuntu community at large to give Canonical a hand and start the market machine up themselves. Let’s do this. But do what?

Since most people now get their information online, what better place to start. So the Ubuntu community can create a vast online marketing campaign for Ubuntu 10.04. Create web sites that pimp the new release and get links to that site from everyone possible. Not just geek-friendly sites, but wherever news is published.
Take it to the streets. If you’re in a city that has crowded city streets, start a flyer campaign and hand out flyers spelling out the benefits and features of Ubuntu 10.04.
Attack the YouTube generation. There are plenty of Ubuntu community members that are aspiring filmmakers. Create clever videos and put them up on YouTube. Cash in on the “I’m a Mac I’m a PC” video idea - you know where to take it from there.

I’m sure the community can think of plenty of other ways to stir up a frenzy for Ubuntu 10.04. But it has to start now. The seed of desire must be planted before the sun ever shines on this patch of dirt.

blueshiftoverwatch
February 8th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I think that if someone's not technical enough to have already heard about Linux and try it out on their than not only are they not technical enough to run it in the first place. Advertising attempts are therefore counter productive. They should stick with Windows and OSX.

People who preach about their religion are annoying enough. But at least they believe they're actually trying to save people from eternal damnation. Linux however is just an operating system.

Simian Man
February 8th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I think that if someone's not technical enough to have already heard about Linux and try it out on their than not only are they not technical enough to run it in the first place. Advertising attempts are therefore counter productive. They should stick with Windows and OSX.

People who preach about their religion are annoying enough. But at least they believe they're actually trying to save people from eternal damnation. Linux however is just an operating system.

Absolutely agreed.

adeypoop
February 15th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Its a while since I read the actual article and I'm not going to reread it, however I don't recall it being preachy myself. Marketing is just marketing, people can be swayed by or not it is not the same as preaching religion and pushing it down peoples throats. The idea was just to try and make more people aware of the Ubuntu brand and see if some sort of critical mass can be achieved. Why shouldn't Ubuntu take on the big league of Microsoft and Apple? There are benefits to all Ubuntu users (including you) if the user base and the community grows bigger.

mhgsys
February 15th, 2010, 11:41 PM
When this boxed operating system is placed on the same shelf (selling at $19.99 or $29.99) as Apple OSX and Windows 7, people are going to give Ubuntu a look and many people will purchase Ubuntu.

what, what, what !!!!!

GNU is not in the public domain. Everyone will be permitted to modify and redistribute GNU, but no distributor will be allowed to restrict its further redistribution. That is to say, proprietary modifications will not be allowed. I want to make sure that all versions of GNU remain free.

And now…built-in app and music store!

I couldn't care less;

Ubuntu is great because it's free and editable , and it should always stay that way;

DeadSuperHero
February 16th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Cash in on the “I’m a Mac I’m a PC” video idea - you know where to take it from there.
This idea has been so horribly overdone already, I'd rather see something new. Like an inspirational video of people hugging, some commentary about sharing, and the Ubuntu logo fade in.

t0p
February 16th, 2010, 12:26 AM

No one said anything about preaching. The suggestion is about advertising. As you just said, Ubuntu is an operating system. A bunch of software. A product. It may not be appropriate to preach about a product*, but surely it's okay to advertise one?

*Actually, there are those who say it is appropriate to preach about software. And I'm not talking about Linux "zealots" here. Microsoft has its own official evangelists (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/bb905078.aspx). So who says Bill Gates ain't a saint? :p

audiomick
February 16th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I don't want to comment on the marketing thing, but I find this curious

I would think the average user would gladly pay 20 bucks for an operating system that, upon installation, will have a built-in, iTunes-like music service out of the box.The implication that having to pay a nominal price for something that includes a function to spend money may attract more users than a system that costs nothing and supplies applications for free. What worries me most is that it might be true.

t0p
February 16th, 2010, 12:39 AM
This idea has been so horribly overdone already, I'd rather see something new. Like an inspirational video of people hugging, some commentary about sharing, and the Ubuntu logo fade in.

Something like this?

http://www.javipas.com/wp-content/ubuntu.JPG

adeypoop
February 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Something like this?

excellent image t0p !

crlang13
February 22nd, 2010, 10:46 AM

I have to disagree. I have a few friends who I have gotten into Ubuntu and open source software. This happened just because they happened to see my computer or I mentioned it. Previously, they either hadn't heard about Linux or had alot of misconceptions about it.

I think it's agreed that preaching is the wrong approach, but a bit of advertising and word of mouth would help to dispel the myth that Linux is inaccessible unless you're a nerd.

ZarathustraDK
February 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM

I would disagree. The world is actually going to hell in a handbasket, but that's because of stuff like the pending ACTA-bill in the US and censorship-regimes in otherwise benign countries like Australia.

If more people knew about Linux, then more people would stop thinking about information as something you buy, and more about how it's something you share.

crlang13
February 22nd, 2010, 10:35 PM
If more people knew about Linux, then more people would stop thinking about information as something you buy, and more about how it's something you share.

+1
Very well said:D

adeypoop
March 1st, 2010, 03:01 AM
I think better advertising and marketing will help people take up ubuntu more but perhaps not enough to reach a critical mass though. There are still many factors which will prevent a lot of those people taking the plunge including things like fear of the unknown and being too lazy or busy to invest time learning a new OS.

The main thing that needs to happen is people who supply the hardware (like Dell etc) to offer Ubuntu preinstalled, that way all the lazy (too busy) people will be locked into Ubuntu rather than windows.

Another quite wierd thing is I think people have a tendency to be suspicious of free things. The fact they don't have to pay for ubuntu may really put people off !!! I know that sounds bizzare