PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Japanese Language Configuration

nexist
February 7th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Is there a step by step guide for setting up Japanese Language input for Gnome with Ubuntu 9.10? Maybe I am not searching correctly, but I am not finding it.

I have a US keyboard. I would like to type in the romanji and have it become Hiragana, Katakana and (hopefully) Kanji.

mushwars
February 7th, 2010, 08:56 PM
install ibus then install anthy.

THen you will have a little keyboard icon next to your clock that you can click and choose anthy and you can input japanese. I have used it for years.

when you hit spacebar you will get a list of kanji options, make sure you recognize the kanji it is sometimes wrong.

nexist
February 7th, 2010, 08:59 PM
install ibus then install anthy.

THen you will have a little keyboard icon next to your clock that you can click and choose anthy and you can input japanese. I have used it for years.

when you hit spacebar you will get a list of kanji options, make sure you recognize the kanji it is sometimes wrong.

All I get is a "no input window message".

mushwars
February 7th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I do to in firefox, its because it doesnt use Ibus input, go to a terminal right click and choose input method ibus, then click the little keyboard.

nexist
February 7th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I do to in firefox, its because it doesnt use Ibus input, go to a terminal right click and choose input method ibus, then click the little keyboard.

That did it. Is there no way to enable Japanese in Firefox/Open Office/etc as well?

ありがとごじます

mushwars
February 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
何で世デスか?
(nande yo desu ka?!)

why were you able to get it to work in firefox and I CANT?!
I see you have the same problem.

btw, if you hit space after each word instead of puting them all in a row it converts to kanji.

arigato gozaimasu becomes

有賀とございます!!!!

EDIT: I found what I need unfortunately it wont help you
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Input_Methods

nexist
February 7th, 2010, 10:29 PM
何で世デスか?
(nande yo desu ka?!)

why were you able to get it to work in firefox and I CANT?!
I see you have the same problem.

btw, if you hit space after each word instead of puting them all in a row it converts to kanji.

arigato gozaimasu becomes

有賀とございます!!!!

EDIT: I found what I need unfortunately it wont help you
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Input_Methods

Why can't we get SCIM to work? It is installed? Will it allow for typing in applications such as Firefox & OpenOffice?

mushwars
February 7th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Why can't we get SCIM to work? It is installed? Will it allow for typing in applications such as Firefox & OpenOffice?
yes SCIM should work for you, I am saying that I can get ibus working for me because I can recompile packages to use ibus support where as you cannot. there have been several japanese input questions in the past few days do a search They will tell you how to use SCIM good luck.

mushwars
February 10th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Sorry for bumping this thread, but You do not want ibus, it only can input into programs that support ibus, instead install uim ( if it doesnt already come installed ) then right click on your menubar and add the uim gtk.

You might need to do this

~/.xinitrc

export XMODIFIERS=@im=uim
export GTK_IM_MODULE=uim
export QT_IM_MODULE=uim

Zorael
February 11th, 2010, 06:08 PM
SCIM, ibus and UIM should all work. The sole exceptions I know of at this time are Kate and KWrite 4.4, which only work with UIM (via its XIM wrapper).

If OpenOffice.org doesn't work, see if it works in xterm. If it doesn't, you probably need to correct a variable in a certain file.

Zorael
February 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I threw together a script that does a bunch of checks and saves a log of the results in your home directory (~/input-method-info.log). With the output from there it should be easy to see what still needs to be done if your input method of choice (ibus, UIM, Scim, etc) isn't working for you.

Set it as executable and run it from a terminal - that way you can see any error output it spews out. Attach the produced log to a reply here.

If your terminal language isn't English, the script needs to be edited to correct three strings. The correct strings can be found in the top part of the output of 'im-switch -l'.

Your input method setup under en_US locale as below.
================================================== =====
The configuration "/home/zorael/.xinput.d/en_US" is defined as a link pointing to
ibus
This private configuration supersedes the system wide default.
================================================== =====
The system wide default is pointed by "/etc/alternatives/xinput-all_ALL" .
xinput-all_ALL - manual mode
link currently points to ibus

In the section at the top of the script, there are three variables that must contain something unique to those lines highlit in blue above. Not necessarily the strings I chose ("supersedes, "The system" and "link currently") - just something unique to them.

# localization; change these terms if terminal language isn't English
# refer to the output of im-switch -l for the correct translations
SUPERSEDES="supersedes"
THESYSTEM="The system"
LINKCURRENTLY="link currently"
Use any text editor to make your changes.