PDA

View Full Version : 5 hr energy drink?

sports fan Matt
February 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I saw the 5 hr energy display at the gas station this morning and thought, is it hype or does it work? It is on tv quite a ton here in the states and was just curious. The price was about $3 but I did not purchase it. Anyone ever try it?

chucky chuckaluck
February 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM
i ended up taking a two hour nap the only time i ever tried it.

Islington
February 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM
i ended up taking a two hour nap the only time i ever tried it.

was it an energetic nap?

pirateghost
February 7th, 2010, 08:51 PM
it tastes like ferret pee, and it certainly did NOT last 5 hours

blueshiftoverwatch
February 7th, 2010, 08:57 PM
They do seem to work. But, one of those is loaded with about 6000% your daily recommended dose of various B vitamins, which can't be good for you. Their website assures you that it's perfectly to take that many B vitamins at one time. But, the fact that my kidneys have usually hurt the day after drinking one of those would seem to invalidate that statement.

The first time I tried 5 Hour Energy I drank two of them at about 4PM and after a busy day couldn't get to sleep that night until about 4AM. I was unusually refreshed and awake the next day though, despite only getting about two hours of sleep. Minus my kidneys hurting.

I've since stopped drinking energy drinks in general.

pwnst*r
February 7th, 2010, 09:18 PM
They work for the most part, but don't think for a second that there isn't a steep drop once it wears off. Also, this isn't something you should be taking daily and if you think it is, I suggest looking at your diet and lack of exercise and sleep.

sports fan Matt
February 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I wasnt thinking of taking it even, to be honest. Was just wondering because you never know the validity of products these days:)

pwnst*r
February 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I've taken it a couple of times - once when I was getting tired on a trip and another before hitting the gym and I REALLY wasn't up to going that day.

tgalati4
February 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM
My head hurts reading this thread.

Christian Knudsen
February 7th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Coffee?

Sporkman
February 7th, 2010, 09:44 PM
They do seem to work. But, one of those is loaded with about 6000% your daily recommended dose of various B vitamins, which can't be good for you. Their website assures you that it's perfectly to take that many B vitamins at one time. But, the fact that my kidneys have usually hurt the day after drinking one of those would seem to invalidate that statement.

The first time I tried 5 Hour Energy I drank two of them at about 4PM and after a busy day couldn't get to sleep that night until about 4AM. I was unusually refreshed and awake the next day though, despite only getting about two hours of sleep. Minus my kidneys hurting.

I've since stopped drinking energy drinks in general.

:lol: Well please give your kidneys our regards.

Giant Speck
February 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I'd just take some B vitamin supplements. Those energy shot drinks have way too much niacin and other B vitamins.

Green tea is also an excellent energy drink.

earthpigg
February 7th, 2010, 10:46 PM
at least with cocaine, you can't convince yourself it's healthy.

szymon_g
February 7th, 2010, 10:49 PM
how much coffeine does it contain (per 100ml)? how big the can is?

Dharmachakra
February 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM
If you're talking about the Five Hour Energy brand, the shot is 2oz. It works, but not like coffee does. It's actually quite easy to fall asleep after taking a swig. I've also never had a crash afterwards. Too bad they cost three bucks a pop.

sh4rkbyt3
February 7th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Most of the 5 hr energy drinks as was stated, are nothing more than an overabundance of B vitamins (B6 & B12 usually). Since we quickly burn through B vitamins and store almost none it is a viable alternative for a quick pep with little to no real consequences if used sparingly. For the person who claimed to have kidney pain I would seriously question the validity of the pain. B vitamins are extremely water soluble and are quickly burned up and evacuated with almost no side effects. Flushing of the skin and a warm sensation are normal (temporary) side effects but painful kidneys? All in all, the 5 hour energy drinks are in fact safer and more healthier than the sugar bomb drinks like Amp, Monster and a few others. Still, I would only use them in emergency situations and I prefer to use a sub-lingual B drops that I buy at K-Mart pharmacy. Even though that 5 hour bottle looks small it doesn't mean you have to drink it all at one time. Use it sparingly if you use it at all. Better yet eat a normal diet and get plenty of rest (if possible) and avoid using any of them at all.

Sporkman
February 7th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Coffee will also pick you up. It's cheap, widely available, tastes great, and is full of antioxidants.

mkendall
February 7th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Coffee ... tastes great

LIAR! You lie, you big lying liar.

azkehmm
February 8th, 2010, 12:19 AM
You could also, you know, make sure you get enough sleep? That way you won't need those energy drinks :)

pirateghost
February 8th, 2010, 12:47 AM
You could also, you know, make sure you get enough sleep? That way you won't need those energy drinks :)
i LOL'd @ this

That is crazy talk. No really, dont you have another option?

handy
February 8th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, chocolate; are all nephrotoxins.

Which means they poison & slowly destroy your kidneys.

[Edit:] I've never seen Ferret pee mentioned in the medical books? /edit

B vitamins are water soluble & the excess is flushed out mostly in your urine. Only fat soluble vitamins can be stored up & in very rare cases, an overdose accumulation can not only make you sick but even kill you.

SoFl W
February 8th, 2010, 01:21 AM
it tastes like ferret pee, and it certainly did NOT last 5 hours

So there has been a time in your life you tried ferret pee.

I tried the 5 hour stuff once, energy drinks don't do much for me.

pirateghost
February 8th, 2010, 01:25 AM
So there has been a time in your life you tried ferret pee.

I tried the 5 hour stuff once, energy drinks don't do much for me.

what can i say? havent we all done stuff we werent proud of?