PDA

View Full Version : I already know a possible Mighty Mandrill feature: The Shell!

Kenny_Strawn
February 7th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Supposedly, GNOME 3 will come out a month before Mighty Mandrill. And consider this: Ubuntu releases are patterned after GNOME releases, and use dev releases of GNOME. Considering Karmic Koala uses 2.28, and Lucid Lynx uses the 2.29 development release, Mighty Mandrill probably will have GNOME 3.0.

What do you think about GNOME Shell being default in Mighty Mandrill?

NoaHall
February 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM
What you talking about, Shelly?

MacJack
February 7th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Mark has already stated that after Lucid Gnome 3 is the priority.

AllRadioisDead
February 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Mark has already stated that after Lucid Gnome 3 is the priority.
Um, no.

SuperSonic4
February 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
So GNOME's finally moving forward? I was about to start linking GNOME under stagnant in the dictionary

MacJack
February 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Um, no.

eh! I was'nt asking a question :-({|=

Kenny_Strawn
February 7th, 2010, 07:47 PM
eh! I was'nt asking a question :-({|=

Don't worry, I agree with you. I think The Shell is a useful GNOME feature. Witness:

MooPi
February 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Gnome shell should be a nice addition but should be an unactivated feature. Should be left to the user whether to use or not.

MacJack
February 7th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Gnome shell should be a nice addition but should be an unactivated feature. Should be left to the user whether to use or not.

But surely that would mean a folk in Gnome development?

RiceMonster
February 7th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I voted for them both

Name change
February 7th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I voted for them both
I voted for all three of them...
Yes, no and I don't care... (Oh wait there isn't third option)
Even thought at the end the decision will be made by Ubuntu release managers.
But I would wait before Gnome3.0 is implemented. Learn from KDE mistakes...
Even though for me KDE4.0 wasn't that problematic (when i broke it, I could only blame myself).
I think that Ubuntu is on some parts "too bleeding edge". And this is coming from Arch user which is known as bleeding edge as it gets.
And still I don't use Grub2 I don't think it's even in stable repo....
Given that ubuntu is supposed to be a user friendly distro a posibility of bugy Gnome3, even if it is for smal fraction of users could be bad.

SuperSonic4
February 7th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I voted for all three of them...
Yes, no and I don't care... (Oh wait there isn't third option)
Even thought at the end the decision will be made by Ubuntu release managers.
But I would wait before Gnome3.0 is implemented. Learn from KDE mistakes...
Even though for me KDE4.0 wasn't that problematic (when i broke it, I could only blame myself).
I think that Ubuntu is on some parts "too bleeding edge". And this is coming from Arch user which is known as bleeding edge as it gets.
And still I don't use Grub2 I don't think it's even in stable repo....
Given that ubuntu is supposed to be a user friendly distro a posibility of bugy Gnome3, even if it is for smal fraction of users could be bad.

+1

[19:30:37]pacman -Ss grub | grep grub2
extra/grub2 1.97.1-1 [4.12 MB]

Although I still have the old grub from core installed. It's also glad to find someone else who didn't find KDE 4.0 to be too problematic.

It only takes 1 bad review to put 10 people off but 10 good reviews to get 1 person on

Shpongle
February 7th, 2010, 08:33 PM
It only takes 1 bad review to put 10 people off but 10 good reviews to get 1 person on

this

Giant Speck
February 7th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Gnome Shell doesn't have enough Miley Cyrus in it.

Kenny_Strawn
February 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Gnome Shell doesn't have enough Miley Cyrus in
it.

:lolflag:

Techsnap
February 7th, 2010, 10:08 PM
It's also glad to find someone else who didn't find KDE 4.0 to be too problematic.

I don't think that KDE 4.0 was problematic either. However it certainly wasn't ready to be used by everyone at that point, yet all the "mainstream" distros thought it would be a good idea to just shove KDE 4 on when it was clearly not intended for day to day use by people who didn't want to do a bit of tweaking.

Kenny_Strawn
February 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah, apparently KDE went through the same trouble GNOME is going through now. KDE, however, is now very stable. And didn't PCWorld give positive reviews of KDE 4.0? I personally saw it.

RATM_Owns
February 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I was thinking this would be something about the terminal.

Never mind.

Kenny_Strawn
February 7th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I was thinking this would be something about the terminal.

Never mind.

Yeah, I'm talking about GNOME Shell.

jwbrase
February 7th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I don't know what I think of the shell. I'd need to see how customizable it is. In all the screenies I've seen so far, it's ugly and seems to waste alot of screen space. If I can customize away the stuff I don't like so that it's not an eyesore, then I don't really care.

Even if not, I don't so much care about whether Mandrill has/defaults to Gnome 3, as that it still has Gnome 2 in the repos for those of us who don't like Gnome 3.

Uncle Spellbinder
February 7th, 2010, 10:28 PM
...i don't so much care about whether mandrill has/defaults to gnome 3, as that it still has gnome 2 in the repos for those of us who don't like gnome 3.

+1

Hwæt
February 7th, 2010, 10:33 PM
But surely that would mean a folk in Gnome development?

Is your keyboard from Boston? ;)

Personally, given the train wrecks that were the last couple of Kubuntu releases, I think that Ubuntu should give GNOME 3 a year or two to mature before using it. If they had done that with KDE 4, I might not be using Ubuntu today.

If Ubuntu wants to keep a reputation for being stable, then an early and buggy DE version is not the way to go. I don't care how magically the GNOME devs can code, that first non-RC release won't be ready for production environments. I think this was already proven with KDE 4, which is just now starting to get ready for use.

skierkyles
February 8th, 2010, 07:30 AM
...and use dev releases of GNOME. Considering Karmic Koala uses 2.28, and Lucid Lynx uses the 2.29 development release, Mighty Mandrill probably will have GNOME 3.0.

Not quite.

With gnome, even numbered releases are stable, and odd numbers are unstable/development...

And by the time Lucid is finished, it will have gnome 2.30 which is set to be released March 31st

#11u-max
February 8th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I voted for them both
i like the way you think :popcorn:

Странник
February 8th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I actually really like gnome-shell, so bring it in!

VeeDubb
February 9th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I don't know what I think of the shell. I'd need to see how customizable it is. In all the screenies I've seen so far, it's ugly and seems to waste alot of screen space. If I can customize away the stuff I don't like so that it's not an eyesore, then I don't really care.

Even if not, I don't so much care about whether Mandrill has/defaults to Gnome 3, as that it still has Gnome 2 in the repos for those of us who don't like Gnome 3.

You should try out the beta of gnome shell. Ignore the one in the repos because it's VERY outdated, and really not tough to install from the latest source. All the stuff you see in the screenshots with wasted space is only the pulled back view. It actually wastes less space than the default gnome setup because there's only one bar.

I will say that it's not very customizable at the moment. I would assume that once they get the functionality really nailed down (which has changed a lot over the last couple of months) they'll make it easier to customize.

Kenny_Strawn
February 9th, 2010, 05:14 AM
You should try out the beta of gnome shell. Ignore the one in the repos because it's VERY outdated, and really not tough to install from the latest source. All the stuff you see in the screenshots with wasted space is only the pulled back view. It actually wastes less space than the default gnome setup because there's only one bar.

I will say that it's not very customizable at the moment. I would assume that once they get the functionality really nailed down (which has changed a lot over the last couple of months) they'll make it easier to customize.

The GNOME Shell in the Lucid repo is more up-to-date than the one in the Karmic repo, but yeah, the repo build tends to be more outdated.

Well, of course Lucid's GS is more updated: Lucid Lynx is an alpha release!

Merk42
February 9th, 2010, 09:41 PM
For those interested in learning more about GNOME Shell, there is a giant thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305154) in the Lucid Lynx development forum.

Pictures, documentation, instructions on how to try it yourself, long winded discussion of no easy mouse driven application switcher, it's all there!

Mr. Picklesworth
February 9th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Really, it is quite customizable; extensions can do all sorts of awesome stuff :)

VeeDubb
February 12th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Really, it is quite customizable; extensions can do all sorts of awesome stuff :)

Well, when I say customizable, I mean from a "dummy click" user perspective. There is no clearly visible "options" or "settings" menu. No small selection of pre-made themes, etc.

Again, I understand that those things will come in time, and as you say, there are options available.

Kenny_Strawn
February 12th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Really? Like what? I would like to utilize such extensions for my GS on my netbook.

Uncle Spellbinder
February 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Ok, thought I'd dive right into this whole Gnome Shell. Using this repo: https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/testing?field.series_filter=karmic

Installed and I see no option to "start" it. How do I start Gnome Shell?

EDIT:
Found a 'howto" here: http://www.packtpub.com/article/install-gnome-shell-on-ubuntu-karmic-koala

rahilm
February 12th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I read somewhere that compiz developers are upset with Gnome trashing them and they are trying to come up with there own DE..

Moreover, of all the gnome shell i saw..must of it is boring and looks a waste.. compiz balanced eye-candy with productivity. here there is neither

Tibuda
February 12th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I read somewhere that compiz developers are upset with Gnome trashing them and they are trying to come up with there own DE..

you can already run compiz on its own as a standalone window manager, just like you can with openbox, fluxbox, etc.

Uncle Spellbinder
February 12th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Not sure what I think about Gnome Shell yet, but it's worth testing further. I did gnome-shell --replace to get it going. But can't close terminal without losing window borders. Kind of silly to need terminal open to use Gnome shell. Thought there might be an icon of some sort to enable/disable.

Tibuda
February 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Not sure what I think about Gnome Shell yet, but it's worth testing further. I did gnome-shell --replace to get it going. But can't close terminal without losing window borders. Kind of silly to need terminal open to use Gnome shell. Thought there might be an icon of some sort to enable/disable.

That happens because when you run any app from the terminal, it becomes a subprocess of the terminal. So, if you close the terminal, it kills its subprocesses, including gnome-shell. You can release it if you add the & suffix and run disown -a. like this:

gnome-shell --replace &
disown -a

You can also use Alt+F2 instead, which is much easier.