PDA

View Full Version : Non-computer/non-tech hobbies?

Cuddles McKitten
February 7th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I'm curious as to what us Linux people do with our time when we aren't installing new window managers, compiling code, or writing new drivers for some USB-based microwave oven. What are your (analog) fun-time activities? Bonus points if you mention something that I want to try out.

I like playing folk instruments (very poorly), woodworking, hiking, reading history, and growing spices.

Bachstelze
February 7th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Used to do a lot of photography and also play drums and a bit of piano. Now it's basically just reading and playing chess. :p

llawwehttam
February 7th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I read a lot of books, collect warhammer ( and similar wargames) watch movies and do generally geeky things such as comic book conventions.

5nak3
February 7th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Gym mostly at the moment. I would like to go back to playing football/soccer again but I don't have a team or even a group of friends interested in sports.

I have a huge fascination with fast cars, and motorbikes and anything I can get my grubby little hands on in relation to those I'll sit down and read.

Also given that most of my free time is spent at the gym or on the way to and from the gym, nutrition and exercises are some of my favourite reads.

There is some more but I can't remember them now so I won't even try.

paydaydaddy
February 7th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I spent many years as a working musician but now I spend my time perfecting the art of geezerdom. I am now the tech support for family and friends. Other than that I maintain our private road, take care of the dogs, and shoo kids off my lawn. It's a good life.

Hwæt
February 7th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Guitarra.

oldos2er
February 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I'm an indoor gardener, and I collect vintage and antique sewing machines.

nubimax
February 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I play recorders, soprano and alto and am trying to learn the accordion. I read a lot and walk with the dogs twice a day.
M .

MacJack
February 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I am a mean Guitar player (Spanish classical) that takes up most of my time.

XubuRoxMySox
February 7th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I dance! Precision clogging, to be - um, precise.

I run outside when it rains and catch raindrops. I go camping every chance I get. I love school, so it's just like a hobby to me as well.

Want to learn to play the fiddle and banjo next!

-Robin

Techsnap
February 7th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I like fixing cars and other automotive stuff.

HermanAB
February 7th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Nothing beats white water canoeing in the Rockies and a crackling camp fire next to the tent.

pirateghost
February 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM
There is a world outside of computers???

WTF???

insane_alien
February 7th, 2010, 08:47 PM
i climb anything and everything.

started with just indoor climbing, but i've expanded since then.

ve4cib
I read a lot of books, collect warhammer ( and similar wargames) watch movies and do generally geeky things such as comic book conventions.

Sweet! Another Warhammer player!

I used to play Warhammer a lot more than I do now, but lately my friends and I have been more into RPGs (of the paper-and-dice variety). I'm also a HAM radio operator, I read a lot, and I have a large collection of weird board games (everything from Robo Rally to Arkham Horror to Doom).

kellemes
Oil painting.

eriktheblu
February 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM
A little shooting (firearms), a little Aikido, a little guitar, a little reading, and of course preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse.

RiceMonster
February 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I play guitar, bass, piano and drums. Guitar's the primary instrument, though.

markp1989
February 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM
camping

rock scrambling (im new and have only been a few times, but still is fun)

air rifle shooting (not been a few months , as i havnt had the person i go with has had a lot of stuff to do at work)

all of my other hobbies involve somthing electrical, such as playing xbox etc.