PDA

View Full Version : Do you help in the development of Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu?

Linux_junkie
February 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Having read messages on this forum I started wondering if many people on here who appear to be in most cases happy using a free operating system are contributing to its development.

I think it would be interesting.

Shpongle
February 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Id like to , I mean I can code , in c / c++ ,java , Im learning python etc . but OS programming is so much harder than application programming I find. I hope to contribute code back some day. I just need to brush up on my C/ C++ haven't done it in 2 years now, also its hard when your in college with assignments and stuff. Any advice on OS programming would be welcomed .

SecretCode
February 7th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I try to report bugs ... yet to find one that's actually new, however!

sudoer541
February 7th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I just use it.
its not my job to create an OS thats why we have programmers.
Plus I have better things to do in life.

OrangeCrate
February 7th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I do what I can to help out, usually bug hunting, but I'm gone so much on business, that by the time I get home, and find a problem, I generally find that the bug has been kicked to death on Launchpad, and I let any additional comments pass. So, though I'm always lurking around the dev forum here, and launchpad, I don't post much.

But, I do enjoy using development versions, as an early adopter (I'm dual booted with Windows 7 on this computer):

Brandon_oma#692
February 7th, 2010, 11:15 PM
currently im just learning to use ubuntu. I would like to help others with simple problems in the future though.

rottentree
February 7th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Currently I just use it. I don't report bugs because I like to use stable versions and if I do find one that's usually already taken care of. I can't really help with submitting new code because I'm not on that level (yet) maybe in the future.

cariboo
February 7th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I just use it.

Well I guess it's good thing you don't use Ubuntu or any other Linux variant any more.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8754964&postcount=1

Linux_junkie
February 8th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I just use it.

If your using any distribution of Linux then your a member of the Linux community and as a member of the community I believe that we all have a duty to work towards future development of Linux and its many applications. After all thats the main reason why it is open source.

Even doing something like testing Linux or of the many applications and reporting it to the various development groups online you are helping to develop future systems.