PDA

View Full Version : I am adicted to helping people. (and I cant stop)

mushwars
February 7th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I REALLY want to help people but I didnt sleep last night because I have been on these fourms for the past 24 hours answering questions. I need to sleep.

I just worry that the people that I started helping will give up hope and stop using linux because they didnt get an answer. I have been doing research on behalf of everyone that needs help. No one seems to ever answer certian types of questions, so I feel like I have to

( I am what you would call addicted to helping people and I cant stop, I help someone resolve there problem and in the meantime am helping several others, I just want to see their problems through to the end. I have to stop now, I am sorry to anyone that never got an answer. )

dragos240
February 7th, 2010, 06:32 AM
You need to help YOURSELF.

cwalker1960
February 7th, 2010, 06:36 AM
there's always vodka

lisati
February 7th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I REALLY want to help people but I didnt sleep last night because I have been on these fourms for the past 24 hours answering questions. I need to sleep.

I just worry that the people that I started helping will give up hope and stop using linux because they didnt get an answer. I have been doing research on behalf of everyone that needs help. No one seems to ever answer certian types of questions, so I feel like I have to

( I am what you would call addicted to helping people and I cant stop, I help someone resolve there problem and in the meantime am helping several others, I just want to see their problems through to the end. I have to stop now, I am sorry to anyone that never got an answer. )

Don't be scared to get some sleep. You're not going to do anyone a bit of good if you end up in a hospital ward suffering from exhaustion, unable to use your laptop to access the forums because of restrictions imposed on wireless devices.

Cuddles McKitten
February 7th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I could use some help with my bank account, if you'd like to pay for the indulgence of getting some sleep.

mushwars
February 7th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Yea, I went from 2 posts to 146 in 24 hours, I am happy that so many people could be helped.

I guess I should sleep.

nano /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 ubuntuforums.org

^ solution

blueshiftoverwatch
February 7th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I just recently started helping people and it is rewarding. Although, most of the topics I can't be of any assistance on because their errors are so specific that I haven't had any personal experience involving them. But I help where I can.

chillicampari
February 7th, 2010, 06:58 AM
To the OP: Helping is really cool, but it sounds like you're on the express train to helper burnout. I've been there, and when you've run yourself out too much it can hang around as a general attitude.

So... my advice is: get sleep.

Don't try to solve everyone's problems (it's impossible).

Let others take the lead when needed. I do realize a lot of posts go unanswered here, but sometimes no advice can be better than advice coming from someone who is entirely exhausted.

Be well.

judge jankum
February 7th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Not many things I can answer on these forums and be serious" But I have spent a more than fair amount of my life giving people what ever help and advice I could in the music business...I promise.... After you get some rest.....There will still be people there waiting for what ever help you can be...And you'll have a fresh mind with fresh ideas....Sleep tight, it's a good life....

juancarlospaco
February 7th, 2010, 07:13 AM
You need a Girlfriend.

judge jankum
February 7th, 2010, 07:16 AM
You need a Girlfriend.
Then he still wont get any sleep....hmmmmmmmmmmm" might get other things just as good though......

Sam
February 7th, 2010, 07:25 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

judge jankum
February 7th, 2010, 07:31 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png
Damn I been nailed again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roasted
February 7th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Haha, come on guys. He's just being a good guy and helping out here. That's what makes these forums so great is because of users helping out in their free time.

HOWEVER, you do need to sleep bro. Those help threads will be here tomorrow. And there's enough dedicated users here to help out while you're snoozin away. :)

ikt
February 7th, 2010, 09:43 AM
And there's enough dedicated users here to help out while you're snoozin away. :)

Agree, I feel like I'm more assisting with the running of the car than driving the car itself when it comes to these forums.

Eisenwinter
February 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
OP: it looks as if you're just trying to get recognition, by saying "Oh no, I can't stop helping others on the forum!".

Drink a six pack, and go to sleep.

ETbluez
February 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hey mushwars you awake? I was thinking of adding destop-login sound but im using xubuntu now.Usually i google for answers but if your still awake i could use some help.

undecim
February 9th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Get some sleep, man.

I know what you mean though. There's nothing quite someone telling you "Thank you so much! You are a life saver! Now I can finish [project] by [deadline]! You are the best!"

Often when I get a response like that, I think to myself "If I were to die today, I know that at least some good will have come from my lifetime. All of the resources that others have put into keeping me alive and well will have had some positive effect."

It feels almost like a religious thing. It's not that I follow any religion, or feel compelled by some deity to help others. I feel like being part of the positive memory of others is an immortality, like how people say others have been immortalized for amazing things they've done. It's not the man that needs immortality, but the idea. [insert V for Vendetta reference here]

NoaHall
February 9th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Ah. I love you OP, you made me laugh.

dhatman
February 9th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Bless you.
As an ancient unix user and new ubuntu user, the help provided on these forums goes a long way for answering every question I have had. :KS

handy
February 9th, 2010, 08:30 AM
You could be addicted to hurting people & you can't stop!

It could always be worse.

mushwars
February 9th, 2010, 08:35 AM
why is this thread still being bumped o_O

handy
February 9th, 2010, 09:34 AM
why is this thread still being bumped o_O

Report it & ask the mod's to close it, if you don't want anyone else to play here anymore?

Easy. :)

mushwars
February 9th, 2010, 09:35 AM
its not really that big of a deal.

Eisenwinter
February 9th, 2010, 10:16 AM
its not really that big of a deal.
Why did you even start this thread, then?

mushwars
February 9th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Why did you even start this thread, then?
why even waste your time posting in my thread o_O

frodon
February 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Thread closed as per user request