PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] login to ubuntu, only shows terminal

codycook
February 7th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I restarted my ubuntu today and when I logged in, it only brought up a TERMINAL window. Gnome did not start or anything. I cannot find any kind of article to fix this.

I am using the 10.04 Lynx with the latest updates.

I need to know some commands or something to get gnome started. I can't work out of a terminal window forever lol

Thank you.

mushwars
February 7th, 2010, 06:29 AM
try this

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm startif that doesnt work try this

startx

if that first one works do this

sudo update-rc.d gdm defaults

codycook
February 7th, 2010, 08:00 PM
try this

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm startif that doesnt work try this

startxif that first one works do this

sudo update-rc.d gdm defaults
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start told me that

'rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8) utility e.g service gdm start

since the script you are attemping to invoke has been converted to an upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g., start gdm'

i tried service gdm start and start gdm also with sudo and it said that gdm was already running.

startx said i didn't have permission so i sudo'd it and it just sat there with a fatal server error "server is already active on display 0"

sudo update-rc.d gdm defaults tells me that im missing LSB information and directs me to a website and then says that etc/init.d/gdm already exists.

jskala
February 5th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Hello, I have exactly the same problem. Running the suggested commands had the same result. I'm afraid a did something wrong when uninstalling Evolution last night.

wojox
February 5th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Hello, I have exactly the same problem. Running the suggested commands had the same result. I'm afraid a did something wrong when uninstalling Evolution last night.

You have to be careful what you uninstall from Evolution. Try reinstalling the whole meta-package again:

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

jskala
February 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the prompt response, wojox. I already tried

sudo aptitude install gnomeAptitude said that the gnome package is broken (missing dependencies). It installed about 20 packages and the desktop is working again. Got to be more careful next time.

wojox
February 5th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Good to here.:p