PDA

View Full Version : Can you uninstall kde and kubuntu-desktop completely, then reinstall with KDE 4.4?

gymophett
February 7th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I have Kubuntu 9.10
I want to uninstall KDE and Kubuntu-Desktop and then only have a cli, and from there install KDE 4.4-Minimal

Is this possible?
What actions would I need to take?
Would I need to add a repository first for KDE 4.4?

(I already know I can do an Ubuntu minimal install and then install KDE, but it won't work on my computer for some odd reason)

Thanks. (:

XubuRoxMySox
February 7th, 2010, 02:20 AM
If the minimal install won't work (and it really is the best way to go for what you're looking for - burn a new CD and make sure the checksum is right), try using Synaptic to completely remove the kubuntu-desktop and then install kde-minimal. You can select packages to install from there (using Synaptic).

-Robin

Crunchy the Headcrab
February 7th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I have Kubuntu 9.10
I want to uninstall KDE and Kubuntu-Desktop and then only have a cli, and from there install KDE 4.4-Minimal

Is this possible?
What actions would I need to take?
Would I need to add a repository first for KDE 4.4?

(I already know I can do an Ubuntu minimal install and then install KDE, but it won't work on my computer for some odd reason)

Thanks. (:
Is it possible that the reason an install from a minimal cd won't work is because you are using a wireless internet connection? There is nothing to control your wireless network on a minimal install, so you need to plug the ethernet cord directly in to your pc, or install a network manager some other way before installing kde.

gymophett
February 7th, 2010, 02:24 AM
If the minimal install won't work (and it really is the best way to go for what you're looking for - burn a new CD and make sure the checksum is right), try using Synaptic to completely remove the kubuntu-desktop and then install kde-minimal. You can select packages to install from there (using Synaptic).

-Robin

Thanks.
(I love your avatar btw)
Should I add the repository for 4.4 RC3 first?

gymophett
February 7th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Is it possible that the reason an install from a minimal cd won't work is because you are using a wireless internet connection? There is nothing to control your wireless network on a minimal install, so you need to plug the ethernet cord directly in to your pc, or install a network manager some other way before installing kde.

I was using an ethernet cable for the install, and checked the MD5 sums. My computer just always shut down during the installation.

overdrank
February 7th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Moved to Desktop Environments

Xbehave
February 7th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Thanks.
(I love your avatar btw)
Should I add the repository for 4.4 RC3 first?
add the kubuntu beta backports ppa (https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/beta) as soon as you can (everything should work if you don't but this will save time and bandwidth)

a CLI alternative to synaptic is aptitude (just run aptitude without any options to get the tui)

From minimal CD do:

Install root system with nothing and boot into system
Add ppa & update repo,lists (aptitude update / aptitude, press u)
Make sure the aptitude options (aptitude, options>preferences>dependency handling) are set to not install recommends
sudo aptitude install kubuntu-minimal (or use the aptitude tui to do this and review what gets installed)

From existing install:

Add ppa & update repo,lists (aptitude update / aptitude, press u)
Make sure the aptitude options (aptitude, options>preferences>dependency handling) are set to not install recommends
Use the aptitude tui to install kubuntu-minimal, remove kubuntu-desktop, review the updates (maybe do manual pruning of stuff that isn't autoremoved when you remove kubuntu-desktop)