PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! Can't enable desktop effects

eurodaze
February 6th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Hiya,

Can anyone help? I am an absolute newbie and I can't get any desktop effects to enable. I ran Compiz check and this is what it tells me...

Distribution: Ubuntu 9.10
Desktop environment: GNOME
Graphics chip: nVidia Corporation C77 [GeForce 8200] (rev a2)
Driver in use: nvidia
Rendering method: Nvidia

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...

Checking for texture_from_pixmap... [FAIL]
Checking for non power of two support... [FAIL]
Checking for composite extension... [ OK ]
Checking for FBConfig... [FAIL]
Checking for hardware/setup problems... [SKIP]

At least one check had to be skipped:
Error: Unable to detect maximum 3D texture size

I don't know what thus means or how to fix it... all those FAILS can't be good though...

Suggestions welcome!

cc272
February 7th, 2010, 01:22 AM
I think maybe there is a bug of sorts I did the kernel update last night and now my compiz and emerald are both on the fritz, the update dropped my GUI completely and i had to reinstall All the Nvidia files and start over. i may just be going back to mandriva since that just works. I also noticed the npviewer problem has become worse with the new update since firefox keeps freezing. as soon as i kill npviewer i can browse again until it starts again, i have been using Opera and that seems to work fine no hangups.

I Forgot My Username
February 7th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Have you installed the driver for your graphics card? nVidia is proprietary, so Ubuntu won't install it automatically. If you haven't go to System->Administration->Hardware Drivers, if there's any drivers listed there, install them. If "Hardware Drivers" isn't on the menu, run

sudo apt-get install jockey-gtk
Hope that helps,
Tyler

eurodaze
February 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM
All drivers are in use and up to date... uninstalled an reistalled a million times.... what if I just bought a new graphics card?

Any suggestions on which are DEFINATELY compatible with Karmic?