PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Gnome VS KDE?

Alberonn
February 6th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I've recently installed Ubuntu Karmic Koala and I noticed that I have the Gnome desktop. What is the big difference between Gnome and KDE???

wojox
February 6th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Find out for youself. Open a terminal and run:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get kubuntu-desktop

Then log out and when you log back in, look at the bottom of the GDM and choose options and choose kubuntu.

Alberonn
February 6th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Cool, I can have access to both? Yet another reason to love Linux. :p

Alberonn
February 6th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Should I worry about this error?

E: Invalid operation kubuntu-desktop

wojox
February 6th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Sorry:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

I left out install

Alberonn
February 7th, 2010, 12:31 AM
LOL It worked this time. KDE looks like it may need some more configuring, or perhaps the Ubuntu install of Gnome had set some stuff up for me. I'll play with the two until I know which one I like better. At least I can jump between the two.

I also need to get used to the terminal commands. I have a lot of experience with the Amiga OS (I've played with versions going up to OS 4.0)--where I jumped a lot between the Amiga Shell and Workbench; I'm not too scared of typing in commands. I just need to get to know them.

Windows is really ticking me off right now, but I need it for some applications for school. I have my system set up to dual boot for now with Windows on one HD and Ubuntu on another.

Alberonn
February 8th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I know that may be a little nit-picky, but how to I switch back to the original Ubuntu startup/exit graphic when I log on and off from Kubuntu ones? When I installed KDE, I just wanted to have the option to experiment with it. lol

shrimpy89
February 10th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I know that may be a little nit-picky, but how to I switch back to the original Ubuntu startup/exit graphic when I log on and off from Kubuntu ones? When I installed KDE, I just wanted to have the option to experiment with it. lol

I believe that the commands to restore the original are:

sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so

sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`

stumbleUpon
February 10th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I've recently installed Ubuntu Karmic Koala and I noticed that I have the Gnome desktop. What is the big difference between Gnome and KDE???

This might also help

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

and also other pages on the same site about installing / removing kde, gnome or xfce

aeon.flux
February 10th, 2010, 01:32 PM
hi there, i tried gnome, KDE and xfce. at first the KDE was best, but when i started to use gnome, i found KDE so much complicated and chaotic, also the default apps in KDE is not my cup of tea, but as you written wojox, everyone should find out by himself.

the biggest problem that i wanna ask about, was problem with keyboard, that nobody could explain / fix. all the keys except letters and numbers are changed and changing the language of keyboard(usa/uk/fr/cs/sk) has no effect on this.

this happened when i added KDE to ubuntu (originaly with just gnome) on 9.04, i didn't try to install kubuntu or add KDE to 9.10

jekristiansen
February 10th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Why don't you just download Ubuntu Ultimate 2.5? It has both KDE and Gnome right out of the box. Give it a try!
Still, i have another problem that i need help with.
I own a HIS Radeon HD 5750 and a 40 inch Samsung as my monitor, wich i cannot use to its fullest because lack of drivers, does anyone here know if there is a stable driver out yet?