PDA

View Full Version : UK webshosting and domain registration recommendations

koshatnik
February 6th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Hey there

I'm looking for recommendations for a reliable, cheap UK webhosting service and doman registration package. I'd prefer unlimited traffic and a 1.5gb upwards space.

Post experiences, prices, recommendations, links and sandwich recipes below.

Many thanks

NoaHall
February 6th, 2010, 10:53 PM
heartinternet are good.

Techsnap
February 6th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I recommend UKReg for Domains, but not Fasthosts for hosting (UKReg and Fasthosts are the same company). They're cheap and they have always worked great.

Untitled_No4
February 7th, 2010, 12:52 AM
For domain registration I like daily.co.uk. At the time when I checked they were one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) but they have a nice control panel that allows you to change all the settings yourself, so if you want to change your IPS tags you don't need to ask anyone for favours but rather do it yourself.

For hosting I usually recommend your-name-here.co.uk since they are small and have very good service if you ever need anything, but they are not really cheap and don't offer unlimited bandwidth/space, so they don't fill your requirements.

I actually use hostgator.com who are in America, but for ~$7 a month I get unlimited bandwidth, space, databases and guest domains, so I can host all my customers' beta websites on under one package and I also use the space for remote backup. Despite not being in the UK the speed of their servers is very good. I also like their control panel which is very extensive and allows you to manage all aspects of your account.

mechro
February 7th, 2010, 02:16 AM
http://www.purplecloud.com/

Testimonial from RobertoS, an experienced and informative user at ThinkBroadband.com...

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/isp-independent_email.html

koshatnik
February 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Purple cloud and heartinternet are the contenders so far.

ugm6hr
February 7th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Purple cloud and heartinternet are the contenders so far.

I have registered domains with heart and daily - and think that both are very good.

From memory, heart are cheaper though.

I looked at UK hosting, and found them all to be pretty uncompetitive when compared to US / Canadian options. Some US companies offer UK hosted options, which are universally more expensive. If you have a .co.uk domain, I can't see any good reason to host in UK. .com domains are slightly different, since google won't list .com US hosted sites in the "pages from UK" searches.

koshatnik
February 7th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Heart have it on price so far.