PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Image download problem

hogges
February 6th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Hello,
I am new to Linux, but need it now for my work.

Since yesterday I am trying to download Linux, through Wubi and directly from ubuntu.com. Wubi gets stuck at what seems like 99% of the 64Bit AMD version, which it selects and installs automatically.

So I tried to directly load the CD image, this time the 32-bit version of 9.10. During five different attempts, using different servers and even internet providers, it consistently stopped at 26% or 172MB out of 689MB (eventually I will get an error message saying that the server has terminated the connection). Download speeds indicated were between 264kB/s and 640kB/s.

Any ideas? The whole download should have been done in about 18 Minutes for my fastest connection (using a Swiss server). Power saving features (sleep mode etc.) are switched off and the PC is plugged in. I am using a Vista notebook and IE for the download.

Kind of an unexpectedly bumpy start into my Linux experience, not even being able to download... Maybe Windows is preventing it ;-)

Best regards,
Wolfgang

wojox
February 6th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Go here http://releases.ubuntu.com/karmic/ and scroll down and download via torrent.

hogges
February 6th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Thank you wojox, the torrent method worked without any problems.