PDA

View Full Version : Hard-drive setup

cguy
February 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM
The current computer has a 160GB HDD and a 20GB one with a few bad sectors. (which stores junk that I don't want to delete yet and some 3rd order backups)
The problem is that I'm running out of storage.

I was thinking about getting an external HDD on which to move some of the stuff and to keep backups on. (I'd also keep backups on CDs/DVDs)

However, the opinions on external drives vary: some say they are more reliable than the internal ones, some say they aren't. The writing/reading speed is certainly lower and they are more expensive that the internal ones.
I could get 2 internal ones for the price of one and set them up in a RAID 1 array.
But with 2 internal drives the power consumption would rise by ~30W. (not by much, that's true)
Should I get laptop hard-drives - which are also shock resistant, (maybe quieter), but more expensive?

Choice is hard. :D
What would you do if you had €100 (may rise a little more) and wanted 500 more GB of strorage space, RELIABILITY and SILENCE?

blueshiftoverwatch
February 6th, 2010, 08:08 PM
They sell converter kits on Newegg where you take an internal HD, put it in a plastic box, hook up a few wires, and have an external USB HD. A friend of mine has one and I haven't heard any complaints.

23dornot23d
February 6th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I just bought a Seagate 500 gig for 79 euros from L'Eclercs in France ..... really quite
but 465 gig not the supposed 500 as stated on the box ..... but good price ....

Its the cheapest form of storage per Gig .....

I have 2 others too

the Iomega Terra drive also very good and quite 140 euros

they are coming down in price all the time .... and touch wood ..... no problems .....

soni1770
February 6th, 2010, 08:23 PM
buy a 1tb external without a fan,
i got the cheapest one i could find and no worry's ~ £70

soni1770
February 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I just bought a Seagate 500 gig for 79 euros from L'Eclercs in France ..... really quite
but 465 gig not the supposed 500 as stated on the box ......

bit's and byte's innit.

1024 ~ 1000

maybe

blueshiftoverwatch
February 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM
465 gig not the supposed 500 as stated on the box
Because the hardware companies use the decimal equivalent for bytes instead of the binary that's used in the real world. Probably because they're in it to make money and people who aren't as tech savvy would feel like they were getting a better deal buying a 500GB HD rather than a 465GB one.

EDIT: Oddly enough, the amount of data that can be put onto CD's is measured in binary and actually equals out to the amount advertised. With overburning you can usually even add a bit more. While DVD's are measured in decimal and hold less.

cariboo
February 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
If you system has sata ports, buy an external drive that does esata transfer rates are much higher than usb.