PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm

qalimas
February 6th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I just downloaded PCBSD; never played with any BSD before. I'm about to go all out and install it as my only OS to force myself to learn it. Any suggestions?

:popcorn:

juancarlospaco
February 6th, 2010, 07:05 PM
You can try Debian/KFreeBSD too...

wojox
February 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM
No suggestions, but post back with a report on pro's and con's. I might be interested in trying it myself.

mamamia88
February 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
how does flash work? i always wanted to try bsd but since linux flash is bad enough i'm kind of skeptical of emulating linux flash

dragos240
February 6th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I tried it in a VM, the installer didn't complete. I'll need to try it myself.

qalimas
February 6th, 2010, 07:18 PM
After attempting to boot the installation DVD 4 times, and getting a kernel panic each time, I'm going to download another BSD variant and report back

DeadSuperHero
February 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I enjoyed PC-BSD in the past, was quite a fun little distro out there.

It kind of lacks some fundamental things, though. Ports has always sort of been iffy with it, so it's not exactly the easiest to set up a development environment on it. Kind of stinks, because I was hoping to try and help port some KDE/Qt applications over and package them up nicely.

PBIDIR is pretty nice though, as is the .pbi file format.

paydaydaddy
February 6th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I put pcbsd on one of my computers a couple of weeks ago. Any issues I have had so far have been resolved by reading documentation or forum posts. I have been unable to register for the pcbsd forum and don't know why. It does not really matter as that forum gets very little traffic. I have found the freebsd forum and documentation to be more helpful than the pcbsd resources for the most part. The biggest obstacle I encountered in setup was sound. I found the solution by reading the freebsd supported hardware list. Setting up printing (shared hp printer on a windows machine)was very similar to ubuntu. Flash on bsd seems to be a bit glitchy. On youtube it is a bit of a craps shoot as to whether a video with play or not. Websurfing via firefox seems to lag a bit, but to be honest I have not tried to do any tweeking to improve performance. I loaded pcbsd on a spare machine as something to dabble with so I have not been motivated to get the most out of it. I hope you will provide updates of your experience. Good luck (and I mean it in the most positive way).

ghostborg
February 6th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Try it out in Virtualbox first if you can.