PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu software center ideas

mepatuhoo
February 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM
i was looking at the ubuntu software center and just got an idea that may be interesting. so ill post it and see if its a good idea. for programmers like my self it would be nice to be able to create my own shop that would show up in a shops/market place tab on the left tabs area where i could upload my programs for sale and people could post there input on the programs and a star rating system for shop sellers much like ebay. now this is an idea i just came up with a minute ago so it may need some work. but something like that added in would make it a lot easier for the small programmers to be able to get to there customers. also maybe a way to have the ability to filter the program lists for example if i am using gnome and do not have kde on my pc i should have an ability to turn on a filter for programs that are only for gnome. also if a program is for gnome and kde it should show up in the list one time and in the details it should have the compatibility list.

llawwehttam
February 6th, 2010, 05:48 PM
The entire point of a free/opensource OS is that its FREE. FREE in FREEdom as well as in FREE beer.

That is why there is no point in trying to sell the programs you make. People who write programs for gnu/linux usually contribute them for free.

jken146
February 6th, 2010, 07:11 PM
While I agree with llawwehttam's sentiments, it is the case that the Software Center (sic) was meant for this sort of thing. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter

Previously there was gnome-app-install, which had more features than Software Center currently has.

mepatuhoo
February 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM
they would keep the "get free software" tab what i am saying is adding other tabs as well. also i noticed that when you select installed software it lists all your installed software without giving you filters for example if i want to just see installed games i should be able to have the categories just like when i select "get free software" tab. and the reason why they made the software center is to add in software that was not free notice how all software thats in the list now have a category saying "price: free" they would not need to put that there if there was only free software also the fact that the tab states "get FREE software" rather then "get software" my point is my info is valid based on the intent of the ubuntu software center. add/remove software was designed for just free software but ubuntu software center is for free and non-free software. they will be adding in non-free software in ubuntu 11.10 from what i have read.

mepatuhoo
February 7th, 2010, 06:39 PM
i am moving this info i posted a wile ago over to this post as this post tends to be a better place for it.

i have been using the new Ubuntu software center for a little wile now and i thought it would be very use full if there could be sub categories in the categories for example in games there should be different game categories also i found WINE in the games categorie and thats not really a game. and adding in stuff like buying and renting movies, music and other stuff would be very cool as well. a lot like how the Play station network gives you the ability to get movies. if ubuntu can some how work with some company to make a movie buy/rent and a music buy then that would make it very cool. also if there is some tools that would make some one like me able to make programs/applets/movies/music....and more and be able to some how post it to be reviewed and put in the software center for sale and let developers set the price or free much like itunes but much better then there system. just some ideas could be good could suck but thought maybe some one could build on my ideas and make something good out of it.

mepatuhoo
February 11th, 2010, 01:26 AM
another good idea for large downloads in the ubuntu software center should be the ability to pause a download.

mepatuhoo
May 18th, 2010, 03:11 AM
another thing that i just noticed is that none of the programs in the Ubuntu software center have hardware requirements. if there was a way to have hardware requirements and have the Ubuntu software center highlight specs that do not meet min requirements based on your personal hardware that would be very useful. so for example if you had a video game on the Ubuntu software center and it required a 3.2Ghs CPU and you only have a 2.6Ghs then it should highlight the part of the min requirements for the CPU to let the user know that they can install this program but it will not meet min requirements. and have recommended hardware requirements so the system and let you know if it meets the recommended. and once you have all this data you can do a lot more filtering of programs from this data.

mepatuhoo
May 18th, 2010, 03:27 AM
also games and other programs need to have more categories for example emulators should have there own category. there should be categories for audio and video program as well along with office, education, and maybe accessories. and if there ends up being an ability for programmers to build and upload there programs for free \ or sale on the Ubuntu software center then there should be a "Ubuntu certified" badge that is put on programs that have been tested by the Ubuntu team and is know to be safe. but for ones that are on there that are not "Ubuntu certified" will be there but not have the badge. the idea for that is to let the door be open to all like android but at the same time leave it up to the user to download uncertified programs with there knowing that they have not been tested by the Ubuntu team. and set up filters so you can bring up programs based on if they are certified or uncertified by Ubuntu.

mepatuhoo
May 18th, 2010, 03:37 AM
on the play station network you can view a little video preview of games before installing them. would it be possible to have that ability added into the software center so programmers can put small demo videos of the games there making so people can get a better idea of the program before they hit the install. this would be more useful once non-free programs are added into the software center but a little on free programs when you don't want to spend a lot of time installing something just to find out that it is not what you thought it was.

theZoid
May 18th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I would pay for software if it was something vertical market for example, or something that the free as in beer community couldn't or wouldn't do. Nothing wrong with that. I tend to support certain projects with donations anyway, as many do.

mepatuhoo
June 6th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I would pay for software if it was something vertical market for example, or something that the free as in beer community couldn't or wouldn't do. Nothing wrong with that. I tend to support certain projects with donations anyway, as many do.

i think ubuntu could work out well with something like this. it may be the one big thing that gets ubuntu into 90% of homes. some times you don't even need great programs just small cheap ones people can buy for $0.99 and some that could be for $4 the iphone, sony PSN, xbox live, wii network have all show that this could work. the road has been set for ubuntu to make a clear jump into main stream and this could be the start.

mepatuhoo
November 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM
here is another idea i had about the software center. payed apps are already in the software center at this time. what about a simple software development program where a programmer can build a program manage it in a "shop" that would have its own ubuntu one account to store it on. and when the app is ready you can select a publish button on the software development program and it will package it and submit it to the software center under your "shop" and in the software center you could search by shop. and as a developer we would be able to see data on sales of apps in are shops over the life time of the shop. and all working development apps that are not published yet would be in the shops ubuntu one space where all the workers in the shop that have permistion to work on that app would have access to it.

Imagineer66
November 9th, 2010, 03:27 AM
The entire point of a free/opensource OS is that its FREE. FREE in FREEdom as well as in FREE beer.

That is why there is no point in trying to sell the programs you make. People who write programs for gnu/linux usually contribute them for free.

The problem with freedom is that one has to also respect another person's freedom. In this case, the author has the freedom to try to sell his product if he wishes. I absolutely disagree with your "entire point" of Opensource; it doesn't necessarily mean free beer. But this is a very old argument. May I suggest the "Live and Let Live" attitude.