PDA

View Full Version : PSU recommendations

ged25
February 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I'm planning to get a new psu for my system because the one I have now is behaving weird and I think that it is not providing sufficient power. Its 400 watts which I think is not enough.
My system has Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard, Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT, 2 GB RAM, 150 GB hard drive and DVD drive.
So what do you guys think I should get ?

SuperSonic4
February 6th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I'm using a 500W although my CPU is dual core, same GPU, 3 sata hdd, 4 dvd drives and 8gb ram.
For the record this is my PSU: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45512

I think 500W would be suitable for you although perhaps err on the side of caution with a 600W

NoaHall
February 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM
400W to 500W. You really, really, don't need more. Make sure you get a good brand though.

underquark
February 6th, 2010, 05:35 PM
And check your fans are up to scratch whilst you're at it. Adequate cooling will help protect all the bits of your PC and help stop weird behaviour.

blueshiftoverwatch
February 6th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Make sure you get a good brand though.
Antec is supposed to be a good brand. You'll defiantly pay for one though. I got a 650w for $100 and that was on sale from it's original $120.

undecim
February 6th, 2010, 06:19 PM
The general consensus is that higher watts is better, but remember that the closer the number of watts are to the actual number of watts your computer uses, the more efficient it will be (i.e. it will cost you less in the long run)

I would highly recommend investing in a high-efficiency PSU, because it will save you a lot of money in electricity

sandy8925
February 6th, 2010, 06:54 PM
yeah getting a good quality psu is VERY important. and higher no of watts wont make it run faster or better (unless it's needed),(but is recommended if you're going to overclock).

pirateghost
February 6th, 2010, 06:57 PM
corsair makes some of the best power supplies on the market

Ji Ruo
February 6th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I would recommend a Seasonic, such as an M12 II 500. They are incredible power supplies. Antec are quite reputable as well (Seasonic make some of their models, as well as some other quality brands). You could also get a Seasonic S II 420, as Seasonic deliver power well above their branding - you won't have any problems with either unless you're trying to put in 2 graphics cards etc. Even then the supply will just switch off instead of damaging anything - you get what you pay for with power supplies.

Skripka
February 6th, 2010, 07:04 PM
The general consensus is that higher watts is better, but remember that the closer the number of watts are to the actual number of watts your computer uses, the more efficient it will be (i.e. it will cost you less in the long run)

Who is in this consensus of which you speak, because that is a bad idea.

Using advertised wattage ratings as the goto guide for buying a PSU can end up VERY badly...especially when you're only buying as few Watts as you *think* you can get away with. What is MOST important are the individual rail ratings.

Zoot7
February 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
There's little enough inside in the PSU except pretty typical Power Electronics blocks, none of them actually pull more power than the output requires.

So if you decide to power a pretty bogstandard setup that only might require say.. 150W with a 1kW PSU, it's only going to pull maybe 165W or so, depending on the efficiency.

Anyway as for recommendations. 400-500W and a good brand such as Corsair, Coolermaster, Thermaltake etc. will do fine.

MooPi
February 6th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I've had enormous success with Rosewill and Silverstone brands. I also use this page to calculate how much of a power supply I will need. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

paydaydaddy
February 6th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I found this article on techsupportforum to be helpful and informative the last time I was shopping for a power supply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/ram-power-supply-support/192217-power-supply-information-selection.html

jflaker
February 6th, 2010, 09:29 PM

I would highly recommend investing in a high-efficiency PSU, because it will save you a lot of money in electricity

An electrical circuit will only draw as much power as needed.

You generally want to have available power which will be at minimum, 133% to 200% of your NOW power requirements. Doing so will keep your power supply cool as it is never operating at maximum capacity. A power supply that is operating at or near capacity will generate alot of heat and may cause the thermal circuit to shut itself down.

Another thing you may want to consider is removing your power supply and taking off the cover and blowing out the dust elephants which prevent efficient cooling and may cause undesirable operation.

Ji Ruo
February 7th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Another thing you may want to consider is removing your power supply and taking off the cover and blowing out the dust elephants which prevent efficient cooling and may cause undesirable operation.

Be very careful when dealing with the inside of a power supply. Generally you aren't supposed to open them at all. YOU COULD DIE as there is more than enough current there, so make sure you don't touch anything on the inside. Maybe a vacuum cleaner with plastic attachment or tubing would be best for this...

ps did I mention you could die? Good.

Skripka
February 7th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Be very careful when dealing with the inside of a power supply. Generally you aren't supposed to open them at all. YOU COULD DIE as there is more than enough current there, so make sure you don't touch anything on the inside. Maybe a vacuum cleaner with plastic attachment or tubing would be best for this...

Grasshopper-

NEVER open electrically HOT items. ALWAYS turn off and unplug-and you'll NEVER have problems.

Ji Ruo
February 7th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Grasshopper-

NEVER open electrically HOT items. ALWAYS turn off and unplug-and you'll NEVER have problems.

Actually, no. The inside of a pc case and the inside of a power supply are two different things. Power supplies contain large capacitors which will still contain a charge even after they are turned off and disconnected.

It's criminally negligent to say you'll never have problems... I hope no-one relies upon your advice.

gn2
February 7th, 2010, 02:45 AM
corsair makes some of the best power supplies on the market

Corsair sell some excellent PSUs, but they don't make them.

Seasonic do.

Skripka
February 7th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Actually, no. The inside of a pc case and the inside of a power supply are two different things. Power supplies contain large capacitors which will still contain a charge even after they are turned off and disconnected.

It's criminally negligent to say you'll never have problems... I hope no-one relies upon your advice.

Unless a capacitors is physically cut off from the rest of the system-it will gradually bleed off charge anyway. BTW-you seldom need to worry about getting shorted, as it is the HSFs in PSUs that normally grab dirt and get clogged, and you don't need to go Fat Fingering the capacitors. It is basic safety in working with any electrical component to poweroff and unplug first.

Besides a vacuum won't do much either-you're far better off with canned air.

pirateghost
February 7th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Corsair sell some excellent PSUs, but they don't make them.

Seasonic do.
actually seasonic doesnt make all their power supplies.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDArticles&op=Story&ndar_id=24

and i know they arent the OEM for their PSUs, but they offer some of the best quality supplies on the market.

compare the costs of corsairs to seasonics offerings

jflaker
February 7th, 2010, 03:01 AM

True, but generally you would unplug these things first. And YES, there are capacitors which will retain some charge, don't be poking around inside a power supply.

Skripka
February 7th, 2010, 03:02 AM
True, but generally you would unplug these things first. And YES, there are capacitors which will retain some charge, don't be poking around inside a power supply.

Put the butter-knife down. :)

Lightstar
February 7th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I have an OCZ powersupply 600W, very pleased with it so far. It's also modular (is that the right term?) meaning if you need 10 wires, you have 10 wires coming out of the PSU, if you just need 2, only plug 2... That way you only have the wires you need in your machine, it helps with clutter.

I think it looks similar to this one
http://pccyber.com/?v=product&i=PS-OCZ600MXSP

Sure you might NEED only 500w, do your calculations, video cards will tell you what the minimum requirement is. But it's always good to have a bit of room for expansion, ya know? I went with 600w, it was like 10 bucks more than the 500

NCLI
February 7th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Corsair and OCZ make great PSUs.

Ji Ruo
February 7th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Unless a capacitors is physically cut off from the rest of the system-it will gradually bleed off charge anyway. BTW-you seldom need to worry about getting shorted, as it is the HSFs in PSUs that normally grab dirt and get clogged, and you don't need to go Fat Fingering the capacitors. It is basic safety in working with any electrical component to poweroff and unplug first.

Besides a vacuum won't do much either-you're far better off with canned air.

OK, but there's no guarantee the charge will bleed off enough. It's also basic safety to

- never open a power supply unless you have to
- know the risks if you do and not to touch anything
- know that usually only a trained professional would work inside a power supply. The risk of dying is real.

For people who don't believe me...
Caution
It is rarely recommended that an inexperienced user open a power supply to make repairs because of the dangerous high voltages present. Even when unplugged, power supplies can retain dangerous voltage and must be discharged (like a monitor) before service. Such internal repairs are... specifically not recommended unless the technician knows what she is doingScott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs, 18th ed., p1276 (Que Publishing 2008)

You may as well be telling people to open the back of their CRT TV and have a play around... as long as it's turned off and unplugged, you'll never have a problem(!?). It's the same danger in both instances, and that's why a warning is present on the cases and in the manuals.

gn2
February 7th, 2010, 04:17 AM
actually seasonic doesnt make all their power supplies.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDArticles&op=Story&ndar_id=24

and i know they arent the OEM for their PSUs, but they offer some of the best quality supplies on the market.

compare the costs of corsairs to seasonics offerings

Only Seasonic make Seasonic PSUs.

They also make a number of PSUs which are sold with different badges on.

Corsair do not make PSUs.
All Corsairs are made by either Channel Well or Seasonic.
The better ones are the Seasonic ones.

Prices vary by market, sometimes retail Seasonic PSUs are available cheaper than Corsair ones, sometimes it's the other way round.

pirateghost
February 7th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Only Seasonic make Seasonic PSUs.

They also make a number of PSUs which are sold with different badges on.

Corsair do not make PSUs.
All Corsairs are made by either Channel Well or Seasonic.
The better ones are the Seasonic ones.

Prices vary by market, sometimes retail Seasonic PSUs are available cheaper than Corsair ones, sometimes it's the other way round.

preachin to the choir, bro.

i have been doing this for a long time, i know these things already, i think you just misread what i typed

gn2
February 7th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I think I must have had your wires crossed..... :D

I only ever buy Seasonic made PSUs these days.

pirateghost
February 7th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I think I must have had your wires crossed..... :D

I only ever buy Seasonic made PSUs these days.

LOL. i only buy what my buddy Oklahoma Wolf (www.jonnyguru.com genius)says is worth buying