PDA

View Full Version : This is a fantastic Community

Ceiber Boy
February 6th, 2010, 06:39 AM
This is a fantastic Community, no where else can one have as much support in life from so many people committed to the same ideal. With support such as this there is no justifiable reason in my mind why GNU/Linux should not become the operating system of chose in the world.

Thank you to everyone.

laloruelas
February 6th, 2010, 06:44 AM
one reason is, it hard to make money off of it, and people are not willing to learn the operating system.

Ceiber Boy
February 6th, 2010, 06:52 AM
one reason is, it hard to make money off of it, and people are not willing to learn the operating system.

Yes - but lots of the skill are transferable, i.e your command line knowledge to other linux and Unix systems.

laloruelas
February 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM
but knowledgeable people are not enough to make people happy, big companies and corporations lack involvement, and not much commercial software is made specifically for linux. also some hardware makers are not making drivers for linux. people get mad when their printer won't work. another scenario, is a user wants to load his ipod up with media, he looks for ways to get it on, but finds it easier to manage it in windows.

bulls_eye
February 6th, 2010, 07:13 AM
for me thats the best part...

in windows everything is spoon-fed to you while here you learn new things about your computer by managing things yourself with the help of this wonderful community....

and the fun of finally getting your problem solved is a great experience ...

BitJunkie
February 6th, 2010, 07:14 AM
This is a fantastic Community, no where else can one have as much support in life from so many people committed to the same ideal. With support such as this there is no justifiable reason in my mind why GNU/Linux should not become the operating system of chose in the world.

Thank you to everyone.

I agree!!

BuffaloX
February 6th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Yeah
Ubuntu is great.
Ubuntu Forum is great.
Ubuntu + Forum is fantastic. :D

Ceiber Boy
February 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM
For me its the Education and the feeling of being in control of my OS instead of having to work in a manner dictated by proprietary systems. i've learnt more about computing in the short number of years i've been using linux compared with the large number of years using a MS OS.

i can't now go back to MS, i just find their OS insulting, clunky and generially not nice to use.

AlexanderDGreat
February 6th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I was a Windows user before. There are a lot of things I did in that OS that I thought I can never do in Ubuntu. So I wrote down the tasks I did in Windows, like looking in device manager, installing, typing, burning cds, video-editing, image-editing, etc... When I switched to Ubuntu, at first it was so PAINFUL, even sometimes up to now, but I can do 100% of the tasks before and they're all free. Gimp, Scribus, Cinelerra, OpenOffice, FFWin, etc...

I think learning Ubuntu has an exponential result, you wouldn't feel it at first, but as time goes by, you'll be more learned and productive, and that's my experience so far.

PS I solved all my problems in Ubuntu by watching tutorials and reading up on this website plus other great websites as well, some of my favorites:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/

And tons of other blogs out there. Go Google!