PDA

View Full Version : Example of Ignorance

FoxLogic
March 5th, 2006, 01:51 PM
This guy on the chat of Godlike Productions talks about what he does not understand about Linux.

Bandit
March 5th, 2006, 02:13 PM
LOL.. Stupid people should not breed...

bjweeks
March 5th, 2006, 02:14 PM
ok, who cares?

Kernel Sanders
March 5th, 2006, 02:25 PM
ok, who cares?

Seconded, and it also looks like a photoshop job if ever I saw one....... :-k

void_false
March 5th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Brainless idiot.

bjweeks
March 5th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Brainless idiot.

Yep you? Just cause he thinks the os he likes is better does not make a "Brainless idiot".

Kernel Sanders
March 5th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Brainless idiot.

WOW :rolleyes:

imagine
March 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Mh... what's the purpose of this thread?
Every minute hundreds of silly things get written in chats.

darkmatter
March 5th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Heh... Everyone is welcome to their own opinion... even an ill informed opinion is better than none... he's harming noone by feeling the way he does...

However... those fonts... those CAPS...

MY POOR EYES!

Bragador
March 5th, 2006, 04:03 PM
LOL

I like his logic. Number of security patches released = overall security

FoxLogic
March 5th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I thought this would be a great way for one of you who could explain it better, to jump on that java chat thing and set him on the right track.

Seconded, and it also looks like a photoshop job if ever I saw one....... :-k

Nah, not "photoshoped". I just cut out the rest of the screen shot to make the image small.

majikstreet
March 5th, 2006, 07:08 PM
grr. FoxLogic and your pointless posts...

anyway, there are too many idiots that are in chats, just ignore them..

blastus
March 5th, 2006, 09:51 PM
It is just as ignorant and brainless to dogmatically argue, posit or rebut that both Windows and Linux are "equally secure" or that Linux is more secure than Windows. Unless one is prepared to clearly define what the measuring metrics are (and their semantics and the rationale for choosing them), clearly define the methodology used and the rationale for it, unambiguously define what the hell "secure", "insecure" etc... means and in what context/scope the terms are being applied, and conduct a real scientific analysis, all the arguments and rebuttals will involve an incredible amount of ignorance.

Even with a scientific analysis, one is dealing with subjective opinions and biases--there's no such thing as pure factual objectiveness here and anyone who tries to "logically" argue that there is is a brainless idiot.

mstlyevil
March 5th, 2006, 09:54 PM
It is just as ignorant and brainless to dogmatically argue, posit or rebut that both Windows and Linux are "equally secure" or that Linux is more secure than Windows. Unless one is prepared to clearly define what the measuring metrics are (and their semantics and the rationale for choosing them), clearly define the methodology used and the rationale for it, unambiguously define what the hell "secure", "insecure" etc... means and in what context/scope the terms are being applied, and conduct a real scientific analysis, all the arguments and rebuttals will involve an incredible amount of ignorance.

Even with a scientific analysis, one is dealing with subjective opinions and biases--there's no such thing as pure factual objectiveness here and anyone who tries to "logically" argue that there is is a brainless idiot.

*Head spins as smoke billows out of the ears*

xequence
March 5th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Ok... I like windows and linux both alot, but at this point in time I couldent even dream of saying windows is more secure then linux.

bjweeks
March 5th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Even if realistically linux is more secure the logic does make sence. If linux was more expolited this could be true. The ubuntu fanboy posts are getting old "OMFG LINUX ROXZORS!!! WINDOWZ BLOZ YOU IDIOT!!!!1!!one".

Kernel Sanders
March 5th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Agreed, endless fanboy-ism is about as pointless and frustrating as anything can get.

There are so many "takes" on this issue that both sides are equally as correct imho..... so its not a topic thats ever going to reach some kind of definitive conclusion.

@FoxLogic - We dont really care what you overheard someone saying about Linux/what you saw written in a chatroom for future reference.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but a random one-liner that some random came out with is not really worth discussing.

John

KiwiNZ
March 5th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I think this thread has gone as far as it needed. Beyond in fact :rolleyes:

dbott67
March 5th, 2006, 11:05 PM
But I was just about to post that blue is the best colour in the world! ;)

(and anybody that likes yellow is, well, totally stoopid!)

Bragador
March 5th, 2006, 11:20 PM

But what about people who equally like blue AND yellow as much ?

Big dilemma in perspective...

darkmatter
March 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM

OMFG!!!111 U R SO KEWL!!!111 LOLZ!!!111

mstlyevil
March 5th, 2006, 11:25 PM
But what about people who equally like blue AND yellow as much ?

Big dilemma in perspective...
Blue and yellow makes green. Now everyone can be happy!

KiwiNZ
March 5th, 2006, 11:27 PM
ewww yellow hurts my eyes

Bragador
March 5th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Blue and yellow makes green. Now everyone can be happy!

You think everyone will prefer the sum of all parts instead of the parts themselves ?

mstlyevil
March 5th, 2006, 11:31 PM
You think everyone will prefer the sum of all parts instead of the parts themselves ?

Not really because some people like to complain no matter what. :-k

Bragador
March 5th, 2006, 11:52 PM

Yet, isn't conflict the source of creation ?

bjweeks
March 5th, 2006, 11:56 PM
The thread had officially been hijacked.

Bragador
March 5th, 2006, 11:57 PM
The thread had officially been hijacked.

Or HAS it bjweeks ? Or HAS it ?

:-k

briancurtin
March 5th, 2006, 11:58 PM
cool thread.

delete please.

dbott67
March 5th, 2006, 11:58 PM

That, and BLUE is WAAAYYY more secure than yellow. Last year, yellow had 831 vulnerabilities, while blue only had 830.

Plus, blue lets me configure it the way I want. No stupid licensing fees and closed source... just plain old #0000FF... that's the sweet stuff!

And don't get me going on RED!!!

bjweeks
March 6th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Or HAS it bjweeks ? Or HAS it ?

:-k

Yep it has.

dbott67
March 6th, 2006, 12:01 AM
cool thread.

delete please.

Ubuntu Forums > Ubuntu Community Cafe > Community Chat

Lighten up... just having a little fun! :)

Bragador
March 6th, 2006, 12:04 AM
That, and BLUE is WAAAYYY more secure than yellow. Last year, yellow had 831 vulnerabilities, while blue only had 830.

Plus, blue lets me configure it the way I want. No stupid licensing fees and closed source... just plain old #0000FF... that's the sweet stuff!

Anyway, I'm a great supporter of the free color foundation and I dream of a day when everyone will have the right to use free colors that aren't the property of Crayola... or something.

Fight for the freedom of color !

mstlyevil
March 6th, 2006, 12:04 AM

Red is only used by geeks and the technically savy. Purple on the other hand is easier for non geeks to learn.

Bandit
March 6th, 2006, 12:59 AM
O' GOD COLOR CHOICES!!!
I dont think I can handle this!! :mrgreen:

majikstreet
March 6th, 2006, 01:43 AM
omg, u all r totally stupid u no tat green rockorz! green is teh pwnage! neway green releases more security patches than yellow!

blastus
March 6th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Fuschia and Red are equally secure colors and that's a fact because I say so. You'all don't know what you're talking about :)

dbott67
March 6th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Fuschia and Red are equally secure colors and that's a fact because I say so. You'all don't know what you're talking about :)

How do you know???? It's closed source. Let the hackers see the code and then we'll find out if it's really secure.

You may not remember, but back in 2000-2001 or so there was a little worm called "CODE RED". :)

bjweeks
March 6th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Black for the win.

FoxLogic
March 6th, 2006, 10:26 AM
All I wanted was someone to explain linux better to that person so we could have one less incorrect mind. You guys missed most of it, the window wasn't big enough to get the whole discussion.

Most of it was, Linux is only for server and it's not secure. Windows is even better as a server and is more secure blah blah blah. That's what he was saying.

I tried to mention to him that using methods like in Linux regular user mode is more secure then running in Root. The same idea could be used for Windows. After I started talking about that, thats when he went on about Windows being more sesure and stable.

I tried to explain to him that it really depends on the computers hardware and the person using it, that makes the real difference in how secure or stable it is.

bjweeks
March 6th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Somebody thinks something is better... ford, chevy kde, gnome windows, linux. There is no point of trying to change beliefs minds and insulting them for them.

darkmatter
March 6th, 2006, 11:01 AM
There is no point of trying to change beliefs minds and insulting them for them.

Not even if they like XPDE??? O_O

:p

bjweeks
March 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Not even if they like XPDE??? O_O

:p

There are exceptions:mrgreen:

Kernel Sanders
March 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM
All I wanted was someone to explain linux better to that person so we could have one less incorrect mind. You guys missed most of it, the window wasn't big enough to get the whole discussion.

Most of it was, Linux is only for server and it's not secure. Windows is even better as a server and is more secure blah blah blah. That's what he was saying.

I tried to mention to him that using methods like in Linux regular user mode is more secure then running in Root. The same idea could be used for Windows. After I started talking about that, thats when he went on about Windows being more sesure and stable.

I tried to explain to him that it really depends on the computers hardware and the person using it, that makes the real difference in how secure or stable it is.

What you heard/read someone random say/type something random about Linux, really isnt worth discussing! Really!

Nobody cares!!!

As I said before, everyone's entitled to their opinion, particularly on this issue, as their are equally as many positives and negitives for both viewpoints. Its not something thats ever going to reach any sort of definitive conclusion!

What were you thinking? That the Linux/Ubuntu users are also some kind of geeky klingon warriors, who's mission it is to track down people who have what you consider to be, "misconceptions" about Linux, and re-educate them? :rolleyes:

Again..... NOBODY CARES! :rolleyes:

bjweeks
March 6th, 2006, 12:13 PM
What you heard/read someone random say/type something random about Linux, really isnt worth discussing! Really!

Nobody cares!!!

As I said before, everyone's entitled to their opinion, particularly on this issue, as their are equally as many positives and negitives for both viewpoints. Its not something thats ever going to reach any sort of definitive conclusion!

What were you thinking? That the Linux/Ubuntu users are also some kind of geeky klingon warriors, who's mission it is to track down people who have what you consider to be, "misconceptions" about Linux, and re-educate them? :rolleyes:

Again..... NOBODY CARES! :rolleyes:

What he said. Did you mention nobody cares?:rolleyes:

TechSonic
March 6th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Yeah sorry Pat, got to agree with most of what they are saying.. It doesn't matter what that person thinks.