PDA

View Full Version : Apple and HTML5?

cptrohn
February 6th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Came across this article.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/02/04/cashmore.ipad/index.html

So does Apple have enough Umph to really get the world to change to HTML5 instead of flash?

Psumi
February 6th, 2010, 06:05 AM
If you can use buttons, easter eggs, etc. like flash does, then make homestarrunner.com get HTML5 instead... then I could get rid of flash.

earthpigg
February 6th, 2010, 06:08 AM
If you can use buttons, easter eggs, etc. like flash does, then make homestarrunner.com get HTML5 instead... then I could get rid of flash.

i think the goal of eliminating flash is one of those 'medium-to-long-term' goals, and not a short term.

one needs to lay the groundwork now, so that 5 or so years from now you can get rid of flash.

i have it installed myself.

BuffaloX
February 6th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Apple doesn't love HTML5, they just hate flash.
A story that goes way back to before it was owned by Adobe.

But if it makes Apple more supportive of an open standard, that's nice.
But then I fail to understand why they won't support OGG Theora in their browser.

quinnten83
February 6th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Apple doesn't love HTML5, they just hate flash.
A story that goes way back to before it was owned by Adobe.

But if it makes Apple more supportive of an open standard, that's nice.
But then I fail to understand why they won't support OGG Theora in their browser.

It seems they own a patent on the other the other format (I believe it's 2.64, not sure). They are afraid of Theora because the can't control the licensing and the patents..

Don't quote me on this though, I might be spreading FUD.

CJN
February 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM
If I could I would kill Flash in a heartbeat, the number of headaches I've had to deal with due to Flash greatly outnumber any other software at a ratio of almost 2:1.

Long live HTML 5, may your triumph be swift.

3rdalbum
February 6th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Apple wants H.264 as a de-facto standard; it's the horse they backed in the video codec wars. All the iDevices contain H.264 decoding processors, and Macintoshes with Nvidia GPUs can have GPU-accelerated decoding of exactly one video format: H.264.

It's also a useful weapon against open-source, because H.264 is patented to the hilt, and I'm sure there's some deal in place that says that Apple agrees to support H.264 in return for not having to pay license fees or video distribution royalties on the format. H.264 can't be included in any open-source projects that are distributed in any countries that recognise software patents.