PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server - Move data from NTFS drive

flagators
February 6th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I have installed the server edition. I want to create a file server to save our pics and music in one place. I also want to learn. I am trying to find the best way to do this. I have 2 harddrives. One has server installed and the other one has my data on it. My data drive is formatted as ntfs. I want to move the data from the ntfs drive to the other drive so I can format the ntfs drive to the ext3 format. What is the best way to do this? ftp?

Sorry if this is a newbie question but I just started using ubuntu about 6 months ago. I have also converted my wife and mother in law to ubuntu.

Thanks
Shannon

KiLaHuRtZ
February 6th, 2010, 06:37 AM
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
sudo reboot
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/[NTFS PARTITION] /mnt
sudo rsync -avn --progress /mnt/src/dir/ /some/dst/dir/ #### This runs a test first.
sudo rsync -av --progress /mnt/src/dir/ /some/dst/dir/
sudo umount /mnt

Zack McCool
February 6th, 2010, 06:56 AM
What he said, except I wouldn't generally recommend mounting directly to /mnt.

Instead, do a sudo mkdir /mnt/ntfs and mount to that. The other way won't break your system, but /mnt is a starting place for mounts, much like /media.

flagators
February 8th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks everyone. It worked perfectly.

flagators
February 11th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I did everything listed above and then I formatted the harddrive as ext4. I copied everything over it was working fine. Now when I mount the drive my folders are gone and I get a bunch of folders I didn't have before.

cdrom debootstrap etc lost+found media var

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Shannon