PDA

View Full Version : Samba for file sharing with WinXP PC?

hhtmp88
February 6th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Dear all,

Suppose I have installed a Ubuntu (UNR9.10) PC in my home LAN,
-> am I right that I need to have Samba server installed before I can share folders & files (mainly large media files) in the harddisk of Ubuntu PC for read/write access by other LAN PC running WinXP?

-> am I right that Ubuntu PC cannot access (read or write) USB harddisk nor USB thumbdrive as formatted by WinXP?
-> how about SD card through USB card reader?

-> does UNR v9.10 contain Samba or do I need to install it separately after UNR installation?
-> where can I find the instruction for installation and configuration of the samba server?

Thanks for any kind of help!
Rgds,

hhtmp88
February 7th, 2010, 04:07 AM
any news on this?

Rgds,

pirateghost
February 7th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Dear all,

Suppose I have installed a Ubuntu (UNR9.10) PC in my home LAN,
-> am I right that I need to have Samba server installed before I can share folders & files (mainly large media files) in the harddisk of Ubuntu PC for read/write access by other LAN PC running WinXP?

-> am I right that Ubuntu PC cannot access (read or write) USB harddisk nor USB thumbdrive as formatted by WinXP?
-> how about SD card through USB card reader?

-> does UNR v9.10 contain Samba or do I need to install it separately after UNR installation?
-> where can I find the instruction for installation and configuration of the samba server?

Rgds,

1) yes you will need to install SAMBA, please see the millions of posts on these forums about setting up a SAMBA server

2) false, you can read and write FAT and NTFS

3 and 4) see 1.

hhtmp88
February 7th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks pirateghost for your comments!
Rgds,