PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu pre-installed - but the price!!!

andrewsawyer
March 5th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Hiya,

My dad just bought a new laptop in the UK. It cost 400 pounds. That's about $950AUD. It was a Toshiba Satellite Pro L20. I've been trying to get him onto Ubuntu for a while, so I did a quick search for the name of the laptop and Ubuntu in Google.

I came up with an Australian company (probably coz I'm in Australia and I was using google.com.au) that sold the same laptop, however offered to sell it with Ubuntu instead of Windows. However...

I was horrified to see that the standard price with Windows XP Home is $1609. Yes, expensive compared but that's not the part that horrified me. Windows is paid for software. It's not free, and the cost of it is included in the cost of the laptop.

So how come it costs an EXTRA $49 to have Ubuntu instead of Windows?!?!?!

The link is here (http://www.vgcomputing.com.au/nstoshibaPSL25A-00C016.html). Unfortunatley, while companies are still ripping people off like this, it will be hard to get Linux into the main stream.

I felt I had to mention this, and the community chat seemd like the best place to vent my frustration.

bjweeks
March 5th, 2006, 01:16 PM
You chose with your wallet.

Kimm
March 5th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I would think that Windows is preinstalled when they get the Laptops and if someone wants Ubuntu they have to remove windows and install Ubuntu along with configuration.

Just guessing, but it seems like a resonable explanation.

nblythin
March 5th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I would think that Windows is preinstalled when they get the Laptops and if someone wants Ubuntu they have to remove windows and install Ubuntu along with configuration..
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one!

While its fairly easy for someone selling computers to either custom build desktops, or buy them as no-OS systems --> it isn't so easy to lay your hands on no-OS laptops! So I think Kimm has guessed correctly, you are paying for someone else to buy a standard, off-the-shelf laptop (complete with Windows), and to have them do the Linux install for you.

Bragador
March 5th, 2006, 04:24 PM
That's the problem when you check the info on the net without talking to the guys directly.

You can always ask for a computer wihtout any OS installed at first. Circuit city does that in Quebec anyway but they don't offer it up front. The thing is that you have to wait until the shop receives the computer your ordered and then you can ask them to install linux for you (which would cost something for the tech guys). A friend of mine did that but it was to install a hacked version of windows *sigh*

sapo
March 5th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I would think that Windows is preinstalled when they get the Laptops and if someone wants Ubuntu they have to remove windows and install Ubuntu along with configuration.

Yes, i think so.

But there was one guy that had his money back cause he didnt want windows, so the company gave him the windows price back.

Anyone have the link?

drizek
March 5th, 2006, 05:48 PM
get an asus or a sager from another reseller instead of a toshiba, problem solved.

briancurtin
March 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM
its called the microsoft tax.

mstlyevil
March 5th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Build it yourself and let MSFT stick the tax where the doesn't shine. :mrgreen:

bjweeks
March 6th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Whitebooks for the win.

Lux Perpetua
March 6th, 2006, 01:46 AM

How is that a reasonable explanation? It means the customers pay for a product they never even see, something that benefits them in no way at all. It is a ripoff, plain and simple.

Yes, i think so.

But there was one guy that had his money back cause he didnt want windows, so the company gave him the windows price back.

Anyone have the link?I think you're talking about this: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=137499

aysiu
March 6th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Anyone who wonders why Linux preinstalled is often more, look at this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=99090).

I think System 76 (http://www.system76.com/) will ship to Australia for a fee (their laptop prices are pretty reasonable).