PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming assignment ideas!

Blacklightbulb
February 6th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Hi ubuntuforums,
I've got an assignment to develop in a few months time. I need some ideas of what type of application to develop. It must be something:

1. Coded in JAVA
2. Using good OOp methodology
3. Something complicated (I want to impress)
4. Something useful (I know I could just develop a game. I could easily incorporate a high level of programming methodology in a game and it would easily impress but I find the idea a bit childish and frankly it's useless.)
5. Perhaps something that shows some unique features of Java.

Some ideas might help please! I'm clueless. Please I want to hack some code together but what?

P.S. I can code fairly well. Thanks for helping!

Sporkman
February 6th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Hi ubuntuforums,
I've got an assignment to develop in a few months time. I need some ideas of what type of application to develop. It must be something:

1. Coded in JAVA
2. Using good OOp methodology
3. Something complicated (I want to impress)
4. Something useful (I know I could just develop a game. I could easily incorporate a high level of programming methodology in a game and it would easily impress but I find the idea a bit childish and frankly it's useless.)
5. Perhaps something that shows some unique features of Java.

Some ideas might help please! I'm clueless. Please I want to hack some code together but what?

P.S. I can code fairly well. Thanks for helping!

Implement an application that can be used to optimize some sort of business process & save businesses money.

Blacklightbulb
February 6th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Implement an application that can be used to optimize some sort of business process & save businesses money.

Problem is I don't know what type of business?

The best idea I've had in a whole week was an advanced mathematics application but all in all the methodology there would be more mathematical then OOp and I would have to do extensive mathematical research. Other that that I'm black.

Sporkman
February 6th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Problem is I don't know what type of business?

Write something that does crew scheduling - i.e. you have a certain workload over time, create an efficient schedule that meets the workload.

...or a project scheduling application. Or something that plans pickup & delivery runs.

You could write an app that simulates something like a set of checkout lines, and lets the users adjust various parameters & see what the outcomes are. Or maybe an app that simulates economic conditions & option prices, etc.

And, whatever you end up implementing, have it print out nice, useful, and professional looking reports.

Blacklightbulb
February 6th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Write something that does crew scheduling - i.e. you have a certain workload over time, create an efficient schedule that meets the workload.

...or a project scheduling application. Or something that plans pickup & delivery runs.

You could write an app that simulates something like a set of checkout lines, and lets the users adjust various parameters & see what the outcomes are. Or maybe an app that simulates economic conditions & option prices, etc.

And, whatever you end up implementing, have it print out nice, useful, and professional looking reports.

I like your last idea. A monitoring/data management application to be used in the economic/scientific world. Thanks for your help!

Sporkman
February 6th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Thanks for your help!

No problemo. :)

mickie.kext
February 6th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Make it cure cancer.

Blacklightbulb
February 6th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Make it cure cancer.

The closest thing to cancer I could hack some code to cure is windows but I don't think the interviewer will appreciate that when I'll be presenting my work.