PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] graphics problems during install with 9.10

nedonedo
February 6th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Hi all,

I think I have found a bug, (or maybe just an omission to the new version.)

I have a Dell sx270 with P4 and Intel 82865G graphics on board. I cannot see the display in either Normal or Safe Graphics for any option on the 9.10 installation cd EXCEPT memory test, which does show up in Normal mode.

What I see is; When I make a selection, the screen blanks, I see a cursor in the upper left, and then my monitor tells me that it is not connected. The cd and drive happily do their respective things, I just cannot see anything on the screen.

When I return to 8.04, (running the 64 bit on my laptop!) and download the 32 bit desktop version, I get very different results; In Normal mode, the screen is visible until about 80-90% of the ubuntu progress bar is filled, the screen blanks, a curser shows in the upper left, and then my monitor says "no connection".

Try this again in Safe Graphics mode; same spot and the display tells me it is re-adjusting and 'Bob's your uncle,' installation is working fine.

So, Did someone decide not to support earlier hardware, or did something get left out?

I would like an answer before I attempt to up-date the 8.04 I just installed. Nothing worse than making a graphics change that cannot be undone, and I would like to try 9.10 (on this desktop) BEFORE I update my laptop from 8.04.

Thanks in advance, Ned

presence1960
February 6th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Try the alternate text based installer here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate)

nedonedo
February 6th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Gee, that was fun!

Time to download and burn a cd, 1 hour.
Time to install the OS, (yes I could see it) about an hour.

Joy of having the screen display, BLANK! when the os booted after install, PRICELESS!

Yes the OS installed 'cause I can type my user and password at the pauses and then hear the os (hard drive) take off on it's merry little way, but my monitor thinks that it is not connected to anything. NO RGB blah blah blah.

So, again, is there something left out on 9.10? Is it that older systems are no longer supported? Am I wasting my time?

Anyone?

Waterboy5281
July 11th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Neo, any luck fixing this? I have the same Intel chip as you and have experienced the same issue

Paegus
August 14th, 2010, 02:53 PM
problem is: you're using a DVI->VGA adapter.

It works fine for me without the adapter but as i want to use this small form PC as a media centre *cough*xbmc*cough* i need the vga output.