PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Guidance / Help with Media Server

blevault
February 6th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I have Ubuntu desktop 9.10 installed on an old Dell machine. I have two hardrives (IDE) 125GB (Drive A) & 250 GB (Drive B).

Drive A contains the root/home directory (40GB), 1.5GB Swap, 80GB NTFS partiions. I am downloading KDE partition to partition drive B.

This unit is up and running and networked with SAMBA loaded. I have loaded the OS several times messing around with different partition sizes and just messing around.

I want to set this up as a home server to allow a few things to happen.
1. It will be used as a back up server all networked PCs running XP.
2. It will hold all Music with the desire to run all music from the server to any PC on the network and through the XBOX.
3. It will hold all pictures with the desire to view all pictures from the server to any PC and through the XBOX.
4. It will hold all video and act the same as pictures and music.

I have samba configured for the NTFS partition, but I cannot access it to move any files into the folders. I have the NTFS partition mounted and 1 main folder Win_Media and 4 folders there, pics, music, video, backup. I can access the folders but they are still somehow write protected. I have the main folder as a SAMBA Share with R/W selected and access set.

I can get to the folders no problem but then I am stuck.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks