PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why is gparted NOT installed on vanilla ubuntu?

brallan
February 5th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I have always been amazed that despite the fact that the liveCD obviously has gparted on it, that it is doesn't install it. Why not?

I understand it is a tool with which you can easily damage your system, but that's no reason not to give it to users, once its aready taking up space on the liveCD.

llawwehttam
February 5th, 2010, 11:31 PM
The reason its on the live CD is so you can make a partition layout on install but few people want it installed by default.

howefield
February 5th, 2010, 11:32 PM
And as long it is in the repository and therefore easily available, that's fine for most people.

brallan
February 5th, 2010, 11:41 PM
thanks for your answer.

I find it hard to believe. Reformatting a pendrive is certainly a common task users these days would want gparted for.

how else would they do it?

and since it's such a small program, what harm would it do to install it but not include it as visible in the menu?

llawwehttam
February 5th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Lol, have you tried all the new shiny features???

Go to 'computer' then right click on the pen drive and press format. lol. Your trying to make things too complicated.

brallan
February 5th, 2010, 11:56 PM
And as long it is in the repository and therefore easily available, that's fine for most people.

Easily available if you have an internet connection. I guess you're right, but its a bit of a sore spot for me.

I imagine the ubuntu philosophy also includes empowering even those who do not have internet. Since I've often been without, its at times been more than a minor annoyance to have to boot up a liveCD just to use gparted, almost like the tool being dangled under your nose but not having access to it. Though I bet it's easy to forget what this is like if you're always connected, and I doubt there's a single developer who doesn't have access to internet 99% of the time.

What harm would it do to install it for folks who find themselves in this position? its already taking up the space on the liveCD, right?

brallan
February 5th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Lol, have you tried all the new shiny features???

Go to 'computer' then right click on the pen drive and press format. lol. Your trying to make things too complicated.

oops didn't see your post. i am really on a veeeery slow connection, and it keeps cutting out on me.

THANKS, llawwehttam, that's fantastic! ubuntu just keeps getting better and better!

my apologies for grumpiness.