PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install 9.10 over 5.10 problem

HazLocExpert
February 5th, 2010, 11:02 PM
A friend gave me a 5.10 CD and it installed fine. Now I want to upgrade to 9.10, so I downloaded the ISO file, burned it to a CD, but my computer won't boot from that CD. It is a Dell Latitude. I've gone into setup and the CD drive is the primary (1st) boot device, yet it does not see it. If I disable the hard drive in setup, I get a message that there is no boot device on the computer. What do I do?

ranatanveer
February 5th, 2010, 11:06 PM
did you try this cd to some other system?

seems the cd you have burn is not readable to ur cdrom device.

burn it at 16x

audiomick
February 5th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Are you sure that you burned a CD and didn't just save the .iso image to the CD? If you look at it in the CD drive from a booted system and see an iso file, it is wrong.

Also, you should check the md5sum of the iso before you burn it
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

and burn as slow as you can.

HazLocExpert
February 5th, 2010, 11:16 PM
If I put this CD in another system, will it overwrite the OS on that system?

ranatanveer
February 5th, 2010, 11:21 PM
no it will not, other system means, can this cd be boot fromother nothing else.

HazLocExpert
February 5th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Michael,

Looking at the tools available in 5.10, I used the File Browser, and clicked on "burn data CD", but you are right, it copied the ISO file directly. Are there tools in 5.10 to burn? If not, can I do it from an XP system? If yes, how?

Thanks!!
Mark

audiomick
February 7th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Hi.
I've been away for a day....
I am sure there is a burning tool in 5.10, but I never ran it, so I don't know what. I had Nero on my XP machine.

Deuce1912
February 8th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I've never used 5.10 either, but if you want to do it from XP this is some good easy software to use.

Once you have it installed, and the iso downloaded just right click the iso and click wright to disk. (Or whatever it says.)

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/v2.htm