PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New update help!

Ttomato13
February 5th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Hi everybody, I am new to using Ubuntu and love it very much, but the automatic update happened this morning. I let it do its thing, and then it needed to restart. After the restart the computer did not load Ubuntu, but went to a command prompt. Nothing I could think of helped to get it going into the OS. Is there something wrong with this update, or something I need to manually type at the command prompt to get this update to complete. Thank god for my lap top, I hope I didn't brink my desktop! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sef
February 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
1) What version of Ubuntu are you using?

2) What are your system specs?

andrewdvalles3
February 5th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I have the same issue. I am using 9.10 (Karma Koala).

Cabs21
February 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
try typing
startx into command prompt

if that does not work try typing
login then your username and password then try
startx

Last ditch effort idea I had is that you are in a CLI (Command Line Interface) not the GUI (Graphical User Interface) pres Ctrl+Alt+F7 or F8 or F9 to see if it brings you back to the GUI.

Ttomato13
February 5th, 2010, 08:55 PM
1) What version of Ubuntu are you using?

2) What are your system specs?

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10, have it burned to a cd, but installed it through windows xp, and have a dual boot.

My system specs are a amd athelon 2.33ghz i beleive, with 1.5 gigs of ram. Its an older computer, but still runs great. Nvidia graphics card, onboard sound system. Usual stuff.

Ttomato13
February 5th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Cabs21, thanks for that try, but no dice, didn't work. If I typed login or startx it said missing file.
command prompt reads sh:grub>

I guess I can just uninstall it through windows and reinstall, but then when updated, the same issue will occur I feel.

Cabs21
February 5th, 2010, 09:02 PM
use your Live CD to boot and check your grub files on your HDD. This sounds like a GRUB issue from the update.

Ttomato13
February 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM
yes it might, be while I am a new user, and really don't know how to mess with the os through the command prompt and such, I do not feel like really messing my computer up by doing something wrong as I have very important files through windows and such. Thanks for your help but I am just going to uninstall Ubuntu and try again from scratch. I'll ignore the updates for a while until this problem is fixed or new updates come out.

I am running an older lap top with the same version of ubuntu, and its the only OS on the lap top. No dual boot and no windows. Will this issue occur with the lap top as well?

Silvertones
February 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM
If it's a WUBI install
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1398910

Ttomato13
February 6th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Thank you, I will try it when I reinstall ubuntu another time, and if this happens again.