PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kernel update on 9.04 to kernel 2.6.28.18 no nvidia?!

dBuster
February 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Okay, Jaunty, 9.04 this morning updated my kernel to I believe it is 2.6.28.18 and upon the reboot I had no desktop. It booted wanting to go into low graphics.

So I drop to shell and stop the gdm and try to run the latest nvidia run file I have and it hangs saying I have a x server running. Not sure how to stop that but if I could get a clue I would appreciate it so I can try and see if that will fix my issue.

Otherwise I am needing assistance with getting my desktop back! I can boot into an older kernel and if need be I would like to roll back that latest update this morning, but once again I am forgetting the command line for that.

Thanks in advance for help!

dBuster
February 6th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Now that I got home and had time to get into it.. I solved my own problem..

posting for those who may have the same issue...

sudo killall gdm

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-glx

sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.53-pkg2.run

sudo reboot

and that is all she wrote! Upon reboot I was back up and running with that version of the nVidia driver mentioned. Only drawback was that I had to re-install the madwifi drivers for my atheros card but that has to be done each time I receive a kernel update.

TheMiz
February 6th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Thanks! I was in a little bit of a panic! Your post saved my day!

DejitaruJin
February 6th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I had exactly the same problem, as did someone else I know. You'd think that would have been tested a little better.

As for the fix, is reinstalling the graphics drivers really all that is needed?

Edit: Wow, okay, I guess it is. Didn't even need to uninstall "nvidia-glx" because it wasn't there to begin with.

franck31
February 11th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Same problem with AMD video driver. After update, it was back to default driver (no accelaration) and amdcccle would not run. I am back to previous version of the kernel. Will wait for a fix.

sleepee
February 12th, 2010, 02:54 AM
if i'm not mistaken, you have to manually install those nvidia graphics drivers every time you upgrade the kernel..
i might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure that's the case..