PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] firefox

grobar87
February 5th, 2010, 05:21 PM
"firefox is already running,but is not responding.To open a new windows,you must first close the existing Firefox process,or restart your system."

give me this warrning all the time
please help

JCarmo
February 5th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Go to system, administration, system monitor and kill the firefox process
Then go to system, preferences, startup applications and tick off firefox entries

dondiego2
February 5th, 2010, 05:28 PM
"firefox is already running,but is not responding.To open a new windows,you must first close the existing Firefox process,or restart your system."

give me this warrning all the time
please help

I get that message when I shut down firefox and then try to open it again to quickly. Even though I see it has shut down, there must be something running in the background. I just wait a a few more seconds and try it again and it opens. It sound like part of firefox is continuing to run in the background. That's about all the help I can give right now from my Windows machine at work :(

dondiego2
February 5th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Go to system, administration, system monitor and kill the firefox process
Then go to system, preferences, startup applications and tick off firefox entries

What he said :)

ikt
February 5th, 2010, 05:31 PM
What he said :)

and

http://www.google.com/chrome/

grobar87
February 5th, 2010, 05:32 PM
i kill the process but in startup applications,there is noting about firefox :S (sorry for my english:))

SuperSonic4
February 5th, 2010, 05:32 PM
and

http://www.google.com/chrome/

-1 no spam thx

You can also kill it from a terminal
killall firefox

grobar87
February 5th, 2010, 05:39 PM
ok tnx
:)

mkvnmtr
February 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I had that problem for several months through several upgrades. It stopped when Istarted using the current Firefox release from the Ubuntuzilla site. It did not seem to hurt anything it was just a bother.

Jackzor
February 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I had this problem on windows when firefox would crash or what have you. Just kill it and run it again. And.. no span intended here but I find that firefox is slower than both opera and google chrome on my machine. Google chrome being the fastest.

lovinglinux
February 5th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I had this problem on windows when firefox would crash or what have you. Just kill it and run it again. And.. no span intended here but I find that firefox is slower than both opera and google chrome on my machine. Google chrome being the fastest.

Firefox performs extremely well here here. You just need to do some maintenance on your profiles. See Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567).

Chrome is faster, but is not suited for those who like the customization capabilities of Firefox. For instance, It doesn't even have a sidebar, which I love. Anyway, this thread is not supposed to be another Firefox vs Chrome vs Opera. Is a Firefox support thread.

You can also kill it from a terminal
killall firefox

I have been experiencing this problem since the release of Firefox 3.6. I'm using the 64bit version from Mozila, but I believe this is probably caused by some of my 53 extensions that are in compatibility mode.

Everytime Firefox refuses to close I use this command:

killall firefox-bin

ikt
February 6th, 2010, 11:47 AM
-1 no spam thx

Buh?

Chrome does not have this issue, firefox is the only browser I know that has this horrible lag between closing and opening.