PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I hate Ubuntu-Gnome

MrKimb0
February 5th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I really dislike the Ubuntu "Theme" and icon arrangement under GNOME and I would much prefer the standard GNOME desktop.

How, can I get the default GNOME desktop?

doas777
February 5th, 2010, 05:15 PM
well, when i need themes, I go to gnome-look.org.

MrKimb0
February 5th, 2010, 05:18 PM
well, when i need themes, I go to gnome-look.org.

Will that give me a completely standard gnome environment? Surely applet layout, menus etc will all stay the same?

I know most people would argue that Ubuntu's desktop experience is a great one, I just want a "true" gnome desktop, not a Ubuntufied one

mikewhatever
February 5th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Compile it yourself.;)

MrKimb0
February 5th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Compile it yourself.;)

Any links on how to do this bud?

jken146
February 5th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Launch gnome-appearance-properties (System->Preferences->Appearance and use the options in the Themes tab to change the icon set to 'Gnome' and tweak the rest of the settings until you get what you like. IIRC GNOME uses the Clearlooks theme by default.

I think that if you started out with a minimal install and then installed the package gnome rather than ubuntu-desktop you'd get the default GNOME desktop, but this would be a lot more faff than just trying to recreate the settings yourself.

MelDJ
February 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM
you can try removing the ubuntu-desktop package and install the gnome package in synaptic

macsdev
February 5th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Have a look at Mac4Lin (http://www.howtoforge.com/mac4lin_make_linux_look_like_a_mac)