PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Couldn't get menus and the pannel

zelalem
February 5th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hi, I'm using Ubuntu Interpid and last week I got a new 23 inch Samsung LCD monitor. I was using the monitor quite properly but when I opened it today the top part of teh screen is not visible adn I couldn't get the menu and the pannel. I tried to restore the previous session but didn't succeed. I can't use my computer. What shall I do? Pls help.

Thank you.

nhasian
February 5th, 2010, 11:04 AM
have you tried adjusting the screen from the controls on the monitor itself?

zelalem
February 5th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Hi nhasian, thank you for your prompt response.Yes I did that. I tried to move the screen downward (vertically). But it didn't help. All I need is to get into the dialo box that one uses to change the screen resolution. You know I only see the lower half of teh screen and all the menus and the panel are at the top. What do you I should do?

zelalem
February 5th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hi, I used a different monitor to adjust the screen and now I can see everything. But the screen resolution is not correct. It should have been 192X1080, but I couldn't get these resolution in the setting windows. Only 1280X760 works properly. What should I do?

Thanks again for the support.

Grenage
February 5th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hi there,

What graphics card are you using, and is the TV getting it's input from the graphics card's DVI, or VGA output?

Are you using a custom xorg.conf file?

zelalem
February 5th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hi Grenage, I am using teh following graphics card:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

BTW, I'm not using a TV. I'm using the monitor with a PC and the PC gets the output from the VGA output. I had some problem (pls look at my previous posting) and deleted teh xorg.conf file but it had the default setting even before I had this problem. I contains the following:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

I hope I have given you teh necessary info.

Thanks for your help.

Grenage
February 5th, 2010, 04:02 PM
It might be worth trying a custom xorg.conf, I have a rough guide here (http://www.grenage.com/xorg.html).

If you get stuck, post back with your monitor's model number and I'll knock something up.

nhasian
February 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
before you go messing with the xorg.conf first lets see what video card you have and if you've loaded the proper drivers for it. open a terminal from Applications->Accessories->terminal

then enter:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

depending on what updates you received you may need to reboot. then check System->Administration->Hardware Drivers

see if there are any drivers for your video card that you can enable. if that doesnt work, give us the output of the following command:

lshw -C display