PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installation --- where do files go?

virsto
February 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM
My first question is very basic. When one does an installation of a package how can one determine the new files that are saved (or existing files modified) on your system and more important --- where are they placed?

Two examples:

1) Installation of LyX. This package (vers. 1.6.4) was installed and it requires that certain LaTeX files be on the system. Apparently it installs some LaTeX files itself and sets up a path to them. However when I test LyX, it is unable to find many of the LaTeX files that it needs. It seems that the installation does not recognize where the files are located. Note, the files that it needs are on my system!

2) Installation of Texmaker. This package (1.9.9) again requires that certain LaTex files be on the system. However, when I examine (in its toolbars) the location of these files is incorrect! Again the installation does not find the correct path to the files that it should be using even though they are on my system.

Some information that might be helpful:
* I uninstalled (completely) both of these packages and then installed again --- no change from above.
* I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed.
* I have installed the complete TeXLive package (took 1 hr and 12 minutes!) which is now in: /usr/local/texlive/2009 and /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
* I have defined (as suggested from the TeXLive installation) the following environment variables:

MANPATH = /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf/doc/man
INFOPATH = /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf/doc/info

* The following was added to PATH (as strongly recommended in the TeXLive installation):

/usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/i386-linux

What must I do to get these two packages to use the correct paths?

Thanks,
--V

BbUiDgZ
February 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM
i don't know how to fix your issue or anything about your applications but i thought i'd post to make you aware of the "locate" command, it might help you (if you already know this please ignore).

to use the locate command you first need to update the database of file locations

sudo updatedb

to find a file/files

sudo locate filename-or-part-filename

hope this is of some use

awam66
February 5th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hi there,
If you want to know what files are installed and where, go to Synaptic Package Manager, find the app you are interested in right click on it and select Properties. Go to the "Installed Files" tab and bingo there they all are.

Herman
February 5th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Oops - too late.

awam66
February 6th, 2010, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=virsto;8777304]My first question is very basic. When one does an installation of a package how can one determine the new files that are saved (or existing files modified) on your system and more important --- where are they placed?

Have you been successful yet?

oldos2er
February 6th, 2010, 08:02 PM
If you want to know what files are installed and where, go to Synaptic Package Manager, find the app you are interested in right click on it and select Properties. Go to the "Installed Files" tab and bingo there they all are.

Or
dpkg -L <package name>