PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Kubuntu confused

Winalways
February 5th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Hello everybody!

I am a stranger to coding and linux. I installed ubuntu on my windows xp PC as a dual boot recently. I found a way to turn ubuntu to kubuntu here http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9369. As I thought it would be a wise idea to use a desktop environment similar to windows, followed the steps and got the KDE environment installed. Though it is mentioned in the article clearly that "Remember, your Ubuntu system will continue to be an Ubuntu system and offer the GNOME desktop you have become familiar with, along with the applications that come with it." I have some basic doubts.

1. I wanted to know when a Ubuntu and a Kubuntu update will be available which I have to choose. Is it Ubuntu or Kubuntu?
2. Also will there be differences in commands to be used in this environment.
3. I have enabled 3d cube using compiz manager but unable to find which shortcut to use to see the cube!?

adam814
February 5th, 2010, 07:16 AM
1. When you update to a new version of Ubuntu it will upgrade ALL the packages on your system. It will update both your KDE and GNOME desktops. You won't have to choose unless you do a clean install (and then if you want you can just install the other desktop anyway).

2. Shell commands will be the same for the same shell. Your shell should be the same for both environments as they're usually configured on a per-user basis with a default to /bin/bash

3. I believe KDE uses KWin compositing by default rather than using compiz. Do you have it working in GNOME, but not KDE?