PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop install works, server install fails

GreatestGravity
February 5th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Hi. I was going to set up an ubuntu server, but ran into some issues.

When I try to install ubuntu server 9.10, it immediately goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor as soon as I press enter on the menu. I've tried pressing F6 and editing options - noapic, nolapic, irqpoll, vga=[something...] and nothing worked.

I then downloaded a standard ubuntu desktop cd, and the livecd works, and I can successfully start the install!

I've heard that I should probably use the server install if I want to use this as a server (which I do; webserver for a group of people, website, ftp, ssh.) I've also heard that it's possible to just install everything needed overtop of an ubuntu desktop base.

What should I do? Are there other things I should try to make the server install work? Or is it not worth the effort, and I should just go with a desktop install and then work from there? tasksel?

(It's a Dell XPS, the graphics card is NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT).

Thanks for your help!

Letian
February 5th, 2010, 09:00 AM
i thought the main between server n desktop editions is the packages they both come with...
server is obviously lighter and more robust but you could install the desktop edition then remove packages u don't need...

Hope you are successful.