PDA

View Full Version : Isn't It Funny

az_human
March 5th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Isn't it funny that the mighty and all powerful Windows XP will not natively support an SATA drive upon OS installation? What a CROCK! You need a freaking FLOPPY to be able to install WinXP on a box with an SATA drive!??! I don't even HAVE any floppy drives, much less the disks to go with!!! I mean, whose master plan was it to not include that support?

The reason I'm ranting is because the GF's machine is a Windows box... primarily because she loves playing Sims 2... I tried to get it to work with Cedega but failed. It installed fine but wouldn't run. Eh well. At least I love MY Ubuntu. :D

KiwiNZ
March 5th, 2006, 06:23 AM
My Pc installed WinXP fine on a Sata no need for a floppy???

darknightuk
March 5th, 2006, 06:26 AM
My Pc installed WinXP fine on a Sata no need for a floppy???what version of xp are you using? sata is not supported out of the box on any of the XP installs

Virogenesis
March 5th, 2006, 06:29 AM
xp did come out way before sata...
try making a slipstream version that might stolve the problem and if that doesn't work create a xp cd and add the driver to the cd i can't remember what program you use mind.

Jason_25
March 5th, 2006, 06:31 AM
what version of xp are you using? sata is not supported out of the box on any of the XP installs
That must be wrong.

No trouble here on XP either with a SATA drive. I haven't used floppies in my pcs for years.

az_human
March 5th, 2006, 06:37 AM
xp did come out way before sata...
try making a slipstream version that might stolve the problem and if that doesn't work create a xp cd and add the driver to the cd i can't remember what program you use mind.

I tried slipstreaming... couldn't get it to work right. The whole thing was a pain in the rear.

Patrick-Ruff
March 5th, 2006, 06:37 AM
www.ubersoft.net

you'll get a laugh out of this, a MAJOR one.

KiwiNZ
March 5th, 2006, 06:39 AM
what version of xp are you using? sata is not supported out of the box on any of the XP installs

WinXP Professional service pack 2 build 2600

Bandit
March 5th, 2006, 06:42 AM
My Pc installed WinXP fine on a Sata no need for a floppy???
Same here and I got my copy of XP home a month after it was released.

darknightuk
March 5th, 2006, 07:01 AM
i stand corrected didn't know any xp came with sp2 preinstalled

az_human
March 5th, 2006, 07:06 AM
I have a XP Pro CD that doesn't have SP2 slipstreamed on it. Maybe that's the problem?

Bandit
March 5th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I have a XP Pro CD that doesn't have SP2 slipstreamed on it. Maybe that's the problem?
Could have something do with who made the chipsets as well. I am using VIA chipset.

darknightuk
March 5th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Could have something do with who made the chipsets as well. I am using VIA chipset.when did u buy it? 64bit version? the orginal xp disk does not support any sata drive. i konow this sounds dumb but you don't have anything like a sata to ide convertor do you
Edit:-I suspect u may well have a slightly later disk with sp1 that does have sata drivers

bjweeks
March 5th, 2006, 07:23 AM
It came out before sata....

GreyFox503
March 5th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Some SATA drives will work, some won't. All the ones I've seen personally needed a floppy w/ drivers. And you want RAID, that needs a floppy too.

And no, updating the disc doesn't help. Even the new SP2 ones or an old one slipstreamed w/ SP2 won't do it.

I have heard of people who slipstream the drivers themselves onto the disc, but haven't done it myself. Of course, most of the time you don't think about this until it's too late.

Teroedni
March 5th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Isn't it funny that the mighty and all powerful Windows XP will not natively support an SATA drive upon OS installation? What a CROCK! You need a freaking FLOPPY to be able to install WinXP on a box with an SATA drive!??! I don't even HAVE any floppy drives, much less the disks to go with!!! I mean, whose master plan was it to not include that support?

The reason I'm ranting is because the GF's machine is a Windows box... primarily because she loves playing Sims 2... I tried to get it to work with Cedega but failed. It installed fine but wouldn't run. Eh well. At least I love MY Ubuntu. :D

Yea im still remeber having to use a floppy just to be able to install windowsXp on my raptor disk:mrgreen:

Bandit
March 5th, 2006, 01:24 PM
when did u buy it? 64bit version? the orginal xp disk does not support any sata drive. i konow this sounds dumb but you don't have anything like a sata to ide convertor do you
Edit:-I suspect u may well have a slightly later disk with sp1 that does have sata drivers
I purchased my XP right after it was released, way before SP1. Its the 32bit home version. I have the most recent 64bit version as well.
My motherboard is a Biostar with via chipset and realtek sata controler built into the motherbord. IF you have a PCI SATA controler card you may run into problems and when XP first starts you may have to provide a drivers disk to get windows to use it.
Cheers,
Joey