PDA

View Full Version : Keep free where it belongs

Phantasman
March 5th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Once again I have happened on this community to see what is happening in the world of Ubuntu. This forum always is interesting and informative. It is populated by people from all walks of life, all ages and different ethnic backgrounds. The world could take a great lesson on the way different cultures come together for information, discussions and just good fun.

My hat is off to Mark Shuttleworth for creating and supporting an idea that has involed so many people. In a few years Ubuntu has skyrocketed to the top of the Linux OS charts with a proven idea. "If you build it they will come". When I first saw the term "Ubuntu will always be free", I was impressed. In the past, I have fallen for the "free" attached to many things, and found myself paying more in the long run. I realized (after getting burned) that it was only presented in a way that I took it that it would be free, and with a little salesmanship, I paid a lot for my "free" thing.

Ubuntu's "will always be free" statement once again made me cautious. But after using the distro last year, I waited for the punch from Ubuntu. It never came. I was using something that was completely great and it was free. I told many others that started experiencing the same thing. When asked "how can they do this", I had them read a page I had downloaded about how Mark was giving back to the Open Souce community, because it had helped him in his desired goal in life. The greatest respect I have is for someone who shares, and Mark Shuttleworth is at the top of my list. I am sure many of you have a simular story.

Having a choice is great freedom. And sharing your freedom with others is the highest gift you can bestow on another. Ubuntu is on the right track. Don't ever let your new found success cloud your decissions on offering the gift that was offered to you. If anyone chooses to come in from an outside source and influence you by offering greater success, it would be in the best interest of your community to look at all avenues, and investigate all possabilities, with an open mind and don't fall for "talk" but be convinced by actions. Let the skyrocketing success of Ubuntu remain just that, "Ubuntu's success". And don't fall for the "free" salesmans pitch of how it could be better, or it may just cost you more than you think.

Iandefor
March 5th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Hmm... I never looked at it like that. An interesting view. Thank you for sharing it!

bjweeks
March 5th, 2006, 07:27 AM
I'm to tired to understand the post.

Brynster
March 5th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Here here.

Bandit
March 5th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Me too.. I have duty tonight and I am so board..

Kernel Sanders
March 5th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Another idealist to add to the "ball"....... *EXCELLENT*

To all the "realists", if you dont strive for the "ideal", you'll never even get close! By not striving, wont you be left wondering how close you could have gotten to the "ideal", if you hadnt compromised so early?

John

darkmatter
March 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM
By not striving, wont you be left wondering how close you could have gotten to the "ideal", if you hadnt compromised so early?

John

Indeed. However...

compromizing to obtain functionality until a solid framework for the ideal is laid does not equate to not striving for the ideal (unless one is lazy and doesn't give a crap)

See... I am both a realist and an idealist... and that is not a contradiction..

Ideal: I am currently planning a project that I will put forth to intrested parties to lay a solid foundation where we can all be free of the proprietary in regards to media/web enhancements...

Realist: My clients need functionality... and so do I... because... unfortunately... much of the world (read net) is built on proprietary (flash... wmv.. quicktime... etc.)

I'm I selling out??? No... I am tolerating a 'necessary evil' while I strive towards the idealistic... to a time when ALL can tell the likes of apple and MS to take their patents and their DRM and shove 'em where the sun don't shine ;)

Bragador
March 5th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Indeed. However...

compromizing to obtain functionality until a solid framework for the ideal is laid does not equate to not striving for the ideal (unless one is lazy and doesn't give a crap)

See... I am both a realist and an idealist... and that is not a contradiction..

Ideal: I am currently planning a project that I will put forth to intrested parties to lay a solid foundation where we can all be free of the proprietary in regards to media/web enhancements...

Realist: My clients need functionality... and so do I... because... unfortunately... much of the world (read net) is built on proprietary (flash... wmv.. quicktime... etc.)

I'm I selling out??? No... I am tolerating a 'necessary evil' while I strive towards the idealistic... to a time when ALL can tell the likes of apple and MS to take their patents and their DRM and shove 'em where the sun don't shine ;)

Good point. I hope you don't forget to give an unfair positive advantage to the open formats in your project though :P

Apple is pushing it's music format with its Ipod so I'm sure you could find an equivalent.

Good luck with your project. I'm eager to hear the news about that solid foundation where we can all be free of the proprietary in regards to media/web enhancements...
*thumbs up*

darkmatter
March 5th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Good point. I hope you don't forget to give an unfair positive advantage to the open formats in your project though :P

Apple is pushing it's music format with its Ipod so I'm sure you could find an equivalent.

Good luck with your project. I'm eager to hear the news about that solid foundation where we can all be free of the proprietary in regards to media/web enhancements...
*thumbs up*

Yup... unfair and positive advantage for sure... wont tell you the details... but the name is an acronym containing the letters 'OS' as part of it... the 'OS' in this case being 'Open Standards' ;)

Planning a proposal for what I feel needs to be done... then going to start promoting it so the project can see launch...
So many projects... so little time

Phantasman
March 10th, 2006, 05:49 AM

The right people will understand.;)

briancurtin
March 10th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Here here.
its "hear, hear"

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM
its "hear, hear"

The correct term is "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

freedomforme
March 11th, 2006, 04:00 PM
nicely put! VERY NICE!

No matter how nice "offers" sound they often do not live up to expectations and/or have some hooks attached. I mean when was the last time the guy selling anything told you the bad points right up front with the good points??