PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome-DO & File Browser, CLI ls -?? command

Sceiron
February 4th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Have some small stuff that needs answering :)

How do i launch Nautilus file browser with Gnome-DO
typing "nautilus" or "File Browser" dont work..?

What is the command for ls that lets you read the files page by page, and not in one list (-l) that you have to scroll up in?

And i want to add "Artha" to the startup apps, but i dont know where to go to find the app (binary file?) when i press the Browse button?
Thanks!

sisco311
February 4th, 2010, 11:19 PM
What is the command for ls that lets you read the files page by page, and not in one list (-l) that you have to scroll up in?

You can pipe the output of ls (or any other command) in more or less:

ls | moreor

ls -l | less
You can create an alias for the command, i.e.:

alias ll=`ls -al | less`
(append the ~/.bashrc file with the above line, start a new shell & type ll to list the files)

And i want to add "Artha" to the startup apps, but i dont know where to go to find the app (binary file?) when i press the Browse button?
Just type artha in the command field. The binaries are usually in the /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /bin & /sbin directories, but you don't have to specify the full path to run them.

ankspo71
February 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Hi,
The ls command can be used like this:

ls | moreMost binaries we need are located in /usr/bin , but sometimes they can be installed elsewhere, like /bin or ???. most of the time we can find binaries by using the which command:

which arthaIf that doesn't help, you can use the locate command:

sudo updatedb
locate arthaI'm not a gnome-do user so I can't help with the other parts.

ibuclaw
February 4th, 2010, 11:41 PM
For Gnome-Do, you can't type in "Nautilus" or "File Browser" as such, but you can type in folder names.

ie:
Home
Pictures
Documents
Downloads
Desktop

Should all open up a file browser to that directory.
Regards
Iain

Sceiron
February 4th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Thank you guys, i really appreciate it!

ibuclaw
February 4th, 2010, 11:53 PM
No probs, don't be a stranger for any talk, arguments, agreements, advice, answers and articulate announcements.

It's only talk