PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] To copy a dvd to the hard drive

RabbitWho
February 4th, 2010, 11:05 PM
So normally when i insert a dvd it shows up on the desktop, i click on the folder, there's an option to open in movie player, i do, i get the normal menu screen as i would in a dvd player and from here i have the option to turn on or off subtitles, view special features etc.

To copy the dvds what i've been doing is making new folders and copying the files into them, that's grand, I can still watch the videos, but what i'm missing is the clickable menu screen and the ability to turn on subtitles and other extra features like that.

Ideas?

samantha_
February 4th, 2010, 11:55 PM
So normally when i insert a dvd it shows up on the desktop, i click on the folder, there's an option to open in movie player, i do, i get the normal menu screen as i would in a dvd player and from here i have the option to turn on or off subtitles, view special features etc.

To copy the dvds what i've been doing is making new folders and copying the files into them, that's grand, I can still watch the videos, but what i'm missing is the clickable menu screen and the ability to turn on subtitles and other extra features like that.

Ideas?

dont know if this still applies, but http://www.junauza.com/2009/02/easy-steps-to-rip-dvd-to-iso-in-ubuntu.html
then mount the iso using acetone or whatever you want. then select open disc in vlc, point the disk patch to the place where you mounted it.

switch10
February 5th, 2010, 12:00 AM
"DVD movie backup" will make an exact copy of the disk.

"DVD RIP" will rip the video and audio from the disk. I think there is an option to get the subtitles as well. No chapters though.

sisco311
February 5th, 2010, 12:01 AM
dont know if this still applies, but http://www.junauza.com/2009/02/easy-steps-to-rip-dvd-to-iso-in-ubuntu.html
then mount the iso using acetone or whatever you want. then select open disc in vlc, point the disk patch to the place where you mounted it.

You don't even have to mount the iso. MPlayer & VLC can play iso files.

Orion8
February 5th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Personally, I would right click on the disk image when it loads up and select "back-up disk" (or maybe it is "copy disk"). This will let you create a .ISO file, which can be read from VLC or Kaffeine as stated above. Such a plan will let you watch the dvd as if it were in the drive with menus etc. Be warned you will get some big files, however -- ~4 GB.

samantha_
February 5th, 2010, 05:53 AM
You don't even have to mount the iso. MPlayer & VLC can play iso files.

ooh, never tried that before.
learned something new :)