PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Three different versions of Ubuntu on my computer.

ThePinkWitch
February 4th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Just wondering why when I boot up, apart from my Win XP, I have a choice of three different versions of Linux.generic.... There is a version 14, 17 and 18.

da burger
February 4th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I believe that is to give you a different choice of kernel to run. In other words you would be running a different version of linux behind ubuntu.

Tholley
February 4th, 2010, 10:49 PM
If you are running regularly update in your system,the old kernel left behind when ubuntu installs a new linux kernel.The old kernels leave in grub menu,so grub becomes longer and longer.

there are ways you can delete some of them out of grub if you wish.

I see you are using 9.10...

In 9.04 you used to be able to delete the old ones using Startup Manager, I think you can use Ubuntu Tweak now to do it in Karmic.

doas777
February 4th, 2010, 10:51 PM
the extra kernels won't hurt and don't take up signifigant disk space. I advise you to keep at least one kernel back though, just incase the next kernel update renders your box unbootable. that way you can just load up the older one.

audiomick
February 4th, 2010, 10:53 PM
G'day.
They are old kernels, it means your kernel has been updated twice since the install.
You can happily ignore it, it is not costing you much disk space, a couple of MB I think.

You can remove them from the grub menu, but leave them there. Don't ask me how, though; I have always shied away from doing it. ;)

You can remove them completely, but I don't know how to do that either. Maybe some nice person will show up who knows.

It is advised to keep at least one older than the current kernel. That way if something goes wrong with the current one, you can still boot into the previous one.

I will have a bit of a search and see if I can find a "how to" for the old kernels.
You are on a fresh installed 9.10, aren't you? That would have grub2. There is info about editing the boot menu here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
You could probably do it with the "startup manager" as well. I haven't looked at that yet, but it can be installed with synaptic package manager.

ThePinkWitch
February 4th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I believe that is to give you a different choice of kernel to run. In other words you would be running a different version of linux behind ubuntu.

oh cool, I can screw three versions up instead of just one :D Thanks for that info :)

audiomick
February 4th, 2010, 10:56 PM
HI.
According to this post
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8636542&postcount=2
you can just remove the old kernels with the package manager.

drs305
February 4th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I included a brief section on older kernels and what you can do with them in a guide on StartUp-Manager.

Here is the link. The section on hiding/removing older kernels is near the bottom. Be sure to read the note on Ubuntu-Tweak as well, an easy way to remove older kernels.

HOWTO: StartUp Manager & Kernel Display Options (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=818177)

Tholley
February 4th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Ubuntu 9.10 (GRUB 2) left out the option to clean kernels in Startup Manager, but

If you’d like a GUI, Ubuntu-Tweak is a good choice where you can remove them from Applications->Package Cleaner->Clean Kernel

Install Ubuntu-Tweak,see:http://ubuntuguide.net/installupgrade-latest-ubuntu-tweak-in-ubuntu9-109-048-108-04 (http://ubuntuguide.net/installupgrade-latest-ubuntu-tweak-in-ubuntu9-109-048-108-04)

ajgreeny
February 4th, 2010, 11:51 PM
just uninstall the oldest of the three with synaptic, leaving the two most recent. Search for 2.6.31-14 in the search system of synaptic and remove all the installed packages that show with that number.

All of those amount to about 170MB for each kernel, not just a couple, so if you are short of space it is worth getting rid of all except the two most recent numbered kernels and associated packages.

warfacegod
February 4th, 2010, 11:54 PM
oh cool, I can screw three versions up instead of just one :D Thanks for that info :)

After my own heart!

Rex Bouwense
February 5th, 2010, 12:17 AM
After my own heart!

I like that attitude.

ThePinkWitch
February 5th, 2010, 12:22 AM
HI.
According to this post
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8636542&postcount=2
you can just remove the old kernels with the package manager.

Thanks AGAIN Michael :D

ThePinkWitch
February 5th, 2010, 12:24 AM
After my own heart!

I reinstalled Ubuntu for the Fifth time day before yesterday. You would be so proud LOL

ThePinkWitch
February 5th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I like that attitude.

LOL Thanks :) I'm incredibly stupid I keep banging my head against the keyboard.

ThePinkWitch
February 5th, 2010, 12:28 AM
If you are running regularly update in your system,the old kernel left behind when ubuntu installs a new linux kernel.The old kernels leave in grub menu,so grub becomes longer and longer.

there are ways you can delete some of them out of grub if you wish.

I see you are using 9.10...

In 9.04 you used to be able to delete the old ones using Startup Manager, I think you can use Ubuntu Tweak now to do it in Karmic.

Thanks Tholley :)

ThePinkWitch
February 5th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Ty For reply ajgreeny :)

ThePinkWitch
February 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I included a brief section on older kernels and what you can do with them in a guide on StartUp-Manager.

Here is the link. The section on hiding/removing older kernels is near the bottom. Be sure to read the note on Ubuntu-Tweak as well, an easy way to remove older kernels.

HOWTO: StartUp Manager & Kernel Display Options (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=818177)

Thankyou reading that now :)

warfacegod
February 5th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I reinstalled Ubuntu for the Fifth time day before yesterday. You would be so proud LOL

I've done that many over the last six months.

audiomick
February 5th, 2010, 12:47 AM
I've done that many over the last six months.
Beaten by a girl! How do you feel now?;)

warfacegod
February 5th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Beaten by a girl! How do you feel now?;)

I'm not breaking stuff to my utmost, I am ashamed. ...Where's my sawzall?....

(warfacegod falls to his knees and hangs his head in abject misery at the realization of his utter failure.)

ThePinkWitch
February 5th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I'm not breaking stuff to my utmost, I am ashamed. ...Where's my sawzall?....

(warfacegod falls to his knees and hangs his head in abject misery at the realization of his utter failure.)

There there..let me on your system for five minutes..I'll break it for you. It's the least I can do for all your help :D

warfacegod
February 5th, 2010, 02:29 AM
There there..let me on your system for five minutes..I'll break it for you. It's the least I can do for all your help :D

Absolutely not!

warfacegod
February 5th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I can break stuff on my own. Thanks though.

danwosere2007
February 5th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Just wondering why when I boot up, apart from my Win XP, I have a choice of three different versions of Linux.generic.... There is a version 14, 17 and 18.

3 different versions of ubuntu? Thats just greedy man, what do you expect ;)

ThePinkWitch
February 5th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Absolutely not!

LOl well who doesn't like to share then? It made sense to me. I'm a natural and you're so busy helping out on the forum. I could break it and you could have the fun of fixing it. Fine! *sulking off into the sunset* Anyhoo I'm sure I'll continue breaking my own :D

ThePinkWitch
February 5th, 2010, 03:57 AM
3 different versions of ubuntu? Thats just greedy man, what do you expect ;)

You know what? If I'd a known I had three at a time to break I wouldn't have reinstalled FIVE times lol. ;)

warfacegod
February 5th, 2010, 03:58 AM
You know what? If I'd a known I had three at a time to break I wouldn't have reinstalled FIVE times lol. ;)

3 X 5 = 15 installs to break!