PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wont boot

taxi16
February 4th, 2010, 09:24 PM
hi i wonder if any one can help me, i have just installed 9.10 on my Dell Optiplex P4 2.0GHz 512MB RAM 200 g hd.install went well up till i eject cd at the end,when it try to reboot all i get is a blank screen ?

kansasnoob
February 4th, 2010, 09:33 PM
You're not telling us very much. Is Ubuntu the only operating system on the machine?

acetheace
February 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM
hmm ... Optiplex computers are rather low quality and so it could be an issue with the hardware itself, I've had quite a few problems with GRUB and boot-up on them myself, unless it's been working well for 6 months + in which case it's probably something else.

Did you change the BIOS to boot up on CD by default, and if you did, did you change it back to hard drive?

After checking that, if it's set to boot by hard drive and it doesn't work, I would try booting the live CD again just to make sure it's not a problem with the hardware... you could also make sure all the files are on the hard drive on a live CD; I've had issues with the hard drives on Optiplex as well.

In addition to answering whether there are any other operating systems on the hard drive - failure to boot could mean a number of things