PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Corrupt or invalid kernal

Sronpop
February 4th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hi all, fairly new to Linux I must admit, some experience with Mandriva, but have never touched Ubuntu before. Anyway, I am trying to help a friend out with his laptop since he made a complete bags of it. He had vista and clicked one link too many I think and it has pretty much become useless, a couple of Trojans he says. So I am trying to help him out and install Ubuntu. I was planning on formatting the hard disk since there is no valuable info on there, only problem is I can't install Ubuntu.

I downloaded the latest version 9.10 from the Ubuntu website, and burnt it to a disc. I didn't check for checksum errors or anything like that but I am almost positive thats not the problem. The burning software I used was ISO image burner, freshly installed, pretty sure its not a problem with that either.

I changed the boot loader so that it loads from the cd drive first, the disc runs, I get a few Ubuntu screens. I try to install it from there but it doesn't do anything, it gives me the option to boot from command line, and when I do that, I get:

Boot:

When I press enter it gives me the 'Invalid or corrupt kernal' message and the boot prompt again.

Now I google all this stuff and it seems that while the problem is very common, the solution is not :P As far as I can tell its a problem with the boot loader or init or something. I have not tried burning at a lower speed, and considering other peoples lack of success with that method it does not seem likely that that will fix the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated as this problem is fairly time sensitive,

Regards.

MindFusion
February 4th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Well, it may very well be the cd that's the problem. Burn the image on the lowest speed as possible (as you should do IMO), then very it before installing and then install.

Sronpop
February 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I tried burning it to the lowest speed possible but I still get the exact same problem. Would an install from usb be any use, anything I need to know be for I try that? Or is it as simple as just putting the iso on the usb