PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live USB Woes

Necro-File
February 4th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I can't seem to get a working installation of Ubuntu using a Live USB drive. I have formatted and reformatted and ran the official create, unetbootin and some 3rd party creator and they all give me boot and installation problems.

I can't seem to create a live USB that doesn't have 1 single error. Everytime I make a new one and use the "check USB for defects" option, there is always at least 1 error (though it's never the same item twice in a row).

Currently, the installation drive appears to work. It boots, it LOOKS like it installs, but after the installation process is complete, it goes to the Live desktop (without persistence) and it won't allow me to reboot or shut down using the commands, I have to hard power down and when it reboots, without the pen drive plugged in, it says there is nothing to boot off the hard drive.

I am 100% positive it is not a problem with the computer or the USB drive, since I can install Windows XP just fine from the USB drive, but Ubuntu is just being problematic.

Edit: It seems Ubiquity crashed before the installation finalized.

C.S.Cameron
February 5th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I have had problems due to the downloaded iso file being faulty.
It might be worthwhile to check the MD5Sum of your iso.

stlsaint
February 5th, 2010, 04:21 AM
what distro are you using? And as suggested above check the md5 (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) of the iso.