PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered Ubuntu

MMKOneEyedMike
February 4th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Just requested first free version of Ubuntu.

I am pretty stoked.:D

sports fan Matt
February 4th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I assume you ordered the latest..9.10 the koala?

saif_held
February 4th, 2010, 10:04 PM
4 weeks max. and you should have it by then =]

MasterNetra
February 5th, 2010, 12:56 AM
4 weeks max. and you should have it by then =]

Idk when I used to order the discs it took about 6 weeks to get to me, so your mileage may vary but no more then 9 weeks at worse.

Bölvağur
February 5th, 2010, 03:12 AM
yeah it's getting pretty difficult for them to be sending out those cds all over. Even though I understand they are not going to be sending cds like before I wish they could. Or if Loco groups could make them some how.

ubunterooster
February 5th, 2010, 03:22 AM
when I used dial-up it took 3 weeks to get to US from france

saif_held
February 5th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Idk when I used to order the discs it took about 6 weeks to get to me, so your mileage may vary but no more then 9 weeks at worse.

I was in Germany at that time and the CD shipped from UK and took between 3-4 weeks. But you're without a doubt right mileage plays a role.

scouser73
February 5th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Just requested first free version of Ubuntu.

I am pretty stoked.:D

Congratulations on wanting to use Ubuntu, and welcome to the forums.

blueshiftoverwatch
February 5th, 2010, 06:44 PM
9 weeks! By then it'll be time to upgrade to 10.04.

samalex
February 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM
9 weeks! By then it'll be time to upgrade to 10.04.

Yeah when I requested the 9.04 CD's it took about 5-6 weeks for them to come in ... and 9.10 was out by then. After 9.10 was released though I did another request and got it in 3 weeks. It was more for our LUG since I'm still running 9.04 on my system.

This is shipping to Texas.

Sam

MMKOneEyedMike
February 5th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Thank you all for your comments:D

Iam really liking the community.

samalex
February 5th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Thank you all for your comments:D

Iam really liking the community.

Awesome! I'd also suggest hooking-up with a local Linux Users Group if you have time. Just another way to network with like-minded people and learn some new stuff.

Take care --

Sam

XubuRoxMySox
February 5th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I know I'm late, but... welcome!

One of the things that makes a great distro great is the community behind it. We do have our share of rabid fanatics, but most of us "hop" around (play with other distros) for fun, and doing so makes many of us appreciate Ubuntu even more.

Another great thing about Linux is that it can be just about anything you want it to be, big and feature-rich, or minimal and fast. It's customizable beyond belief! Just look at the screenshot threads and you'll see what I mean.

But over the long run, it's the community around a distro makes it super-awesome! It's a pleasure to welcome another member.

-Robin

insane_alien
February 5th, 2010, 11:50 PM
can't you just get a friend with a fast connection to download and burn it for you?

takes like an hour on the most basic broadband(10 minutes for me, woot).

MasterNetra
February 6th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I was in Germany at that time and the CD shipped from UK and took between 3-4 weeks. But you're without a doubt right mileage plays a role.

lol idk about over there but here in the US when someone says "Your mileage may vary" as I used it, it means your results may vary. Though true actual mileage does make a difference.

Lightstar
February 6th, 2010, 05:26 AM
when I used dial-up it took 3 weeks to get to US from france

Ahh yes dial-up travelling was way slow XP

ubunterooster
February 9th, 2010, 03:55 AM
@lightstar: sorry, i meant when (using AOL) I had to upgrade, I ordered CDs from a third party in france. Now that comcast+ooma costs less than dialup+phoneservice
we don't have this problem. But using dial-up as a means of travel is a bad idea; it would be better to ride a snail there: [SPLAT] "aww man, I squised my snail AGAIN. Not to worry, I'll find another snail and keep going"......[SPLAT] "aww man.....