PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] firefox security component

warpaint
February 4th, 2010, 08:30 PM
i am new to xubuntu still and when i open firefox 3.5

i get this message in a pop-up

"Could not initialize the application's security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your application's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the application and fix the problem. If you continue to use this session, you might see incorrect application behaviour when accessing security features."

if anyone could help i would appreciate it

cariboo
February 5th, 2010, 06:33 AM
The easiest thing to check, is if your hard drive full. Open a terminal and type:

df -h

The results will look something like this:

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda6 110G 66G 40G 63% /
none 1001M 308K 1001M 1% /dev
none 1005M 1.5M 1004M 1% /dev/shm
none 1005M 108K 1005M 1% /var/run
none 1005M 0 1005M 0% /var/lock
none 1005M 0 1005M 0% /lib/init/rw
none 110G 66G 40G 63% /var/lib/ureadahead/debugfs

note the first line that ends with a /. the percentage should be lower than 90%. If it isn't you'll have to create some free space on your hard drive.

drzoo2
February 5th, 2010, 06:42 AM
i am new to xubuntu still and when i open firefox 3.5

i get this message in a pop-up

"Could not initialize the application's security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your application's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the application and fix the problem. If you continue to use this session, you might see incorrect application behaviour when accessing security features."

if anyone could help i would appreciate it

Check and make sure your the owner of all the files and folders in your home directory.
Open a terminal and type the following

cd ~
ls -la <------you should be the owner and group of all the files except ..

warpaint
February 6th, 2010, 04:50 AM
thank you for reply i have tried both methods on the first

it says that 14% of hddrv used

on second reply i am owner of all folders

is it possible that secure server for firefox has been disabled i got a message that said ssl_secure_server disabled how i did this i do not know or how to fix perhaps this is the the error that needs fixed??