PDA

View Full Version : Instant Messaging Program in Python

punkrockguy318
March 5th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Hey all you fellow Ubuntu users :) This week I decided to program something sweet, that would make me cool. Just kidding :p
I put three nights or so into this program. This is my first attempt at a real python program, a gtk2 program, an object oriented program, and my first network program, ever. So cut me a little slack :-P Would some of you python guys take a look at it and see what is cool and what sucks? I'm not really planning to make a real IM replacement, as AIM is all anyone around here uses, and Jabber is the Linux of IM... I just did this project as a learning experience.

Here's the source: http://punkrockguy318.no-ip.org/nimc-0.0.1.tar.gz

There are a couple known problems. I'll just get them out of the way right here:
* Logout. If you don't logout, you will be forever online.
* No status messages. You won't really be notified if your receipient isn't online or whatever
* Not beautiful. Remember, I did this in three nights so the interface doesn't have much love, and there aren't enough comments.
* I found out that the open/close every request thing wasn't the greatest. A telnet like solution would be better (keep all connections open)

Could you guys give me your opinions? Thank you!

majikstreet
March 5th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "interface.py", line 201, in send
response = client.Msg(nick, text)
File "/home/majikstreet/nimc/client.py", line 62, in Msg
msg = '%msg%'+self.cert+'%'+self.nick+'%'+to+'%'+text
TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects

btw, if you want to look at an existing program, there's a python jabber client called gajim... anyway, this is a jabber program, right? you weren't too clear..

punkrockguy318
March 6th, 2006, 12:48 AM
No, this isn't a jabber program. This is a new instant mesasging protocol.

punkrockguy318
March 6th, 2006, 12:50 AM
By the way, what were you doing when your received that error?

majikstreet
March 6th, 2006, 01:41 AM
what do you mean it's a new protocol?! what host and port do I connect to? I tried connecting to jabber.ru with port 5222 and it seemed to work.. I was trying to send a message to majikstreet@jabber.org

edit: oh yeah... I'm learning python + pygtk + glade too..

punkrockguy318
March 6th, 2006, 03:36 AM
what do you mean it's a new protocol?! what host and port do I connect to? I tried connecting to jabber.ru with port 5222 and it seemed to work.. I was trying to send a message to majikstreet@jabber.org

edit: oh yeah... I'm learning python + pygtk + glade too..

It's a new protocol... As it it's not just a client, it's a client and server. When your on this network, you can only talk to others on this network.

By the way, I made a newer one that sucks less, check it out!

http://punkrockguy318.no-ip.org/NIMC-0.0.3.tar.gz

majikstreet
March 6th, 2006, 09:56 PM
like who do I connect to? Someone on my network?

punkrockguy318
March 7th, 2006, 03:19 AM
You connect to a server. I don't really have a dedicated server right now. But you connect to a server, and then you can talk to other clients connected to that server.

engla
March 7th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Neat, it works, I tried talking to myself, and I get answers back! :)

I don't know what else to say - since it's only for learning (not world domination), I suppose packaging is not that important. You could always wrap it up in distutils (python) or autotools (general) for distribution if you want to learn that too...

majikstreet
March 7th, 2006, 10:21 PM
makes sense now..

I just tried it... awesome :D