PDA

View Full Version : Saints . . . or Colts . . . ?

jenaniston
February 4th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Some apologies to the international members of the forum . . .
but there will be international telecasts around the globe including to Australia, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, U.K. . . .

On Sunday evening in the USA it is the professional football championship - this year being held in Miami, Florida . . .

English rock stars The Who are the halftime show . . .

Super Bowl XLIV - who's it gonna be to carry off the Lombardi trophy . . . Saints or Colts ?

Stan_1936
February 4th, 2010, 07:03 PM
but there will be international telecasts around the globe including to Australia, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, U.K. . . ....

I wonder how many members of the international community actually give a damn. I'll bet they only watch it for the half time show, glitz and pre-game festivities(assuming that they get pre-game content....overpaid, overstuffed celebrity butchering the national anthem, fireworks, etc.etc.).....

Seriously, do they really care? I HIGHLY doubt it!

Sporkman
February 4th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Unfortunately the Steelers decided to take several games off, and as a result didn't make the playoffs...

SleepyFloyd
February 4th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I wonder how many members of the international community actually give a damn. I'll bet they only watch it for the half time show, glitz and pre-game festivities(assuming that they get pre-game content....overpaid, overstuffed celebrity butchering the national anthem, fireworks, etc.etc.).....

Seriously, do they really care? I HIGHLY doubt it!

Well, I do care... kinda.

As the great American philosopher Homer Simpson said: "It's not about who wins and loses in such an event, but how drunk you get watching it."

ratcheer
February 4th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I am not a football prognosticator, but I am pulling for the Saints and think they will win.

Tim

executor
February 4th, 2010, 07:55 PM
but there will be international telecasts around the globe including to Australia, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, U.K.

yes surprise for me, it's going to be send live on NRK (Norwegian public broadcast) maybe i take a look, it's night time her then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Broadcasting_Corporation

all of NFL games has been sent live on viasat 3+ all winter.

mamamia88
February 4th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I'm from Indiana big Colts fan

Tristam Green
February 4th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Unfortunately the Steelers decided to take several games off, and as a result didn't make the playoffs...

Isn't that the truth...the Raiders? the BROWNS?

Colts all the way btw.

LowSky
February 4th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Madden 2010 has decided the Saints will win, they have been right 5/6 times. The Giants Vs the Patriots was the only game it lost on, and lets face it the Giants got lucky.

I really want the Saints to win, the team and it's city need to have some good come its way.

Simian Man
February 4th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I'm pulling for the Saints and think they will win. The Colts usually choke in the playoffs, and if they play like they did against the Jets, New Orleans will eat them up.

laceration
February 4th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I don't care too much. I don't expect the Superbowl will match the playoff games with the Cardinals and the Vikings, which showed how epic this sport can be. The Superbowl will probably be routine in comparison.

As for some acknowledgment to the members of the international community, I'll say that the only sport that is as interesting as the NFL is European Pro Cycling.

SuperSonic4
February 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM
If I want to watch endless adverts I'll stick the shopping channel on.

Not to mention it's on overnight (yes, it actually takes all night) here so I'll be in bed.

Best thing is that the Who are playing. *wonders how many americans know the who beyond the 3 CSI themes*

Tristam Green
February 4th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Best thing is that the Who are playing. *wonders how many americans know the who beyond the 3 CSI themes*

Baba O'Reilly > (Won't Get) Fooled Again

Sporkman
February 4th, 2010, 08:56 PM
*wonders how many americans know the who beyond the 3 CSI themes*

It's not an American vs non American thing, it's an age thing. The Who were popular relatively long ago - they were considered "classic rock" back when I was a kid, and I'm almost 40 years old...

doas777
February 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
who?

Sporkman
February 4th, 2010, 10:31 PM
who?

Aye.

gsmanners
February 4th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I always root for the Cowboys' opponents or the underdog, so Saints it is.

aaaantoine
February 4th, 2010, 11:13 PM

Hey, if you've played Guitar Hero 3 or GTA IV, you'll also know "The Seeker". (And "Pinball Wizard" if you've played Rock Band 2, etc.)

Sporkman has the right idea though.

ratcheer
February 4th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Mama's got a squeeze box
She wears on her chest
And when Daddy comes home
He never gets no rest

'Cause she's playing all night
And the music's all right
Mama's got a squeeze box
Daddy never sleeps at night

JDShu
February 4th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I studied The Who in music class back in high school. Thats how old they are.

Not sure who I'm pulling for, the Saints are underdogs, but my favorite college fb player has a tiny role for Indianapolis and I want him to do well.

jenaniston
February 4th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Super Bowl halftimes have gone with older or established acts . . .
Rolling Stones . . . Aerosmith . . . Paul McCartney . . . Michael Jackson even . . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/03/sports/football/03halftime.html

Of course . . . it is only the core of the original "The Who" with Daltry and Townshend -
the rhythm section passed on.

Simian Man
February 4th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Super Bowl halftimes have gone with older or established acts . . .
Rolling Stones . . . Aerosmith . . . Paul McCartney . . . Michael Jackson even . . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/03/sports/football/03halftime.html

Actually they are only "older" acts after the Janet Jackson nipple incident. Before that it was a medley of current pop acts. I'm not sure which approach I find less enjoyable :(.

steev182
February 5th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I'll be rooting for the Saints. I even bought a Saints jersey for the occasion! But seriously, New Orleans could do with something like this as a team. It's by no means anything compared to what Katrina did, but it still is something for the people of NO to be happy and proud about.

I thought Shockey was a great Tight End when he was playing for the Giants (my team), and was disappointed that he was traded. Seeing him score against us this season, I did think to myself 'well I hope they win the superbowl if we don't' and so far so good :D

It'll be a great contest, and I'm sure Archie and Eli (and the forgotten brother) will have a hard time choosing who to root for!

doorknob60
February 5th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I think the Colts have a better chance, but I'd like to see the Saints win for sure. Should be a good game, but I think I'll be in the car in the middle of nowhere during the game ](*,)

forrestcupp
February 5th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I'm from Indiana big Colts fan+1

The Colts usually choke in the playoffs, and if they play like they did against the Jets, New Orleans will eat them up.Wrong. If the Colts play like they did against the Jets, they will rip the Saints' heads off. The Saints' defense didn't look that great in the last game. Peyton will pick them apart just like he did the Jets excellent defense.

Simian Man
February 5th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Wrong. If the Colts play like they did against the Jets, they will rip the Saints' heads off. The Saints' defense didn't look that great in the last game. Peyton will pick them apart just like he did the Jets excellent defense.

I don't think so. The Jets lost their second cornerback at the start of the game and Manning avoided Revis all game long. The Jets also lost their starting running back which is pretty much their whole offense. Barring that - and some officiating calls like the no-call on Sanchez getting drilled way after the play - and that game would have been much much closer. True, the Saints and Vikings game was a lot closer, but both of those teams are way better than the Jets.

JDShu
February 5th, 2010, 02:36 AM
true, the saints and vikings game was a lot closer, but both of those teams are way better than the jets.

+1

era86
February 5th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Colts... duh

sports fan Matt
February 5th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I honestly hope the saints..just for the fact they haven't been before. And it can bring in a boost since from what I have heard, Some areas are still being fixed from Katrina.

witeshark17
February 5th, 2010, 03:36 AM
My friends and I usually root for the underdog. It could be a good game, I hope all who watch enjoy it. :popcorn:

whiskeylover
February 5th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Colts.

Actually I don't care as long as I get drunk with my buddies.

forrestcupp
February 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM
And it can bring in a boost since from what I have heard, Some areas are still being fixed from Katrina.

True, but there are some areas in Indiana that are still being fixed from the flooding that happened last year. I know it wasn't as bad as Katrina, but tell that to the people who lost their homes here.

So, Go Colts!

jenaniston
February 5th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I honestly hope the saints..just for the fact they haven't been before. And it can bring in a boost since from what I have heard, Some areas are still being fixed from Katrina.

True, but there are some areas in Indiana that are still being fixed from the flooding that happened last year. I know it wasn't as bad as Katrina, but tell that to the people who lost their homes here.

So, Go Colts!

Hah . . .
Some sympathy votes for the hometown fans involved as a way
to promote that their teams go out and maul the guys on the other side of the scrimmage line . . .

But both cities will really financially benefit from the upcoming future sites for the Super Bowl . . .

2011 - Arlington, Texas
2012 - Indianapolis
2013 - New Orleans

http://football.about.com/cs/superbowl/a/sbfuturesites.htm

jfloydb
February 7th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Today is the day...

Who will win Super Bowl 44?

I'm rooting for the Saints! But if I were betting, I would have to bet on the Colts...

steev182
February 7th, 2010, 05:58 PM
The same, really want Saints to win, but Peyton Manning's offence might be just a bit too good...

SuperSonic4
February 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Who cares? I'll just wait for the morning's news to tell me

steev182
February 7th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I care, but hey...

SuperSonic4
February 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Fair enough but I don't understand what's so great about it. It appears more fragmented than an ntfs drive untouched for 3 years in constant use

solitaire
February 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Who cares about the game...

Whos doing the half-time entertainment? ^_^

SuperSonic4
February 7th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Who cares about the game...

Whos doing the half-time entertainment? ^_^

The Who

steev182
February 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Lol, Football is definitely an acquired taste. Before I started playing rugby in secondary school, I didn't understand either code.

They are definitely games where you need to take time to fully understand them, you could be a football fan who watched the rugby when England won the World Cup and be watching it not understanding the rucks and mauls, the build up play and all the penalties but still be watching it, because, hey, it's a national team actually WINNING something!

I still don't like the stop start nature of football, but I appreciate the fairness in the game and the way every play is explosive. If it was a little more like rugby, then well, it'd just be Rugby! But if you're up at 11pm, switch the tv over to BBC One (I know, it's not even buried on BBC 3!) and give it a chance.

And I think a bunch of old British guys are those Who are doing the halftime show :D

forrestcupp
February 7th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I'm rooting for the Colts and I would bet on them. The Saints have a great offense, but the Colts have a great offense and defense.

SuperSonic4
February 7th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Lol, Football is definitely an acquired taste. Before I started playing rugby in secondary school, I didn't understand either code.

They are definitely games where you need to take time to fully understand them, you could be a football fan who watched the rugby when England won the World Cup and be watching it not understanding the rucks and mauls, the build up play and all the penalties but still be watching it, because, hey, it's a national team actually WINNING something!

I still don't like the stop start nature of football, but I appreciate the fairness in the game and the way every play is explosive. If it was a little more like rugby, then well, it'd just be Rugby! But if you're up at 11pm, switch the tv over to BBC One (I know, it's not even buried on BBC 3!) and give it a chance.

And I think a bunch of old British guys are those Who are doing the halftime show :D

Love to but I've got work in the morning :(

steev182
February 7th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Same here... did the same last year, stayed up for the football, saw a load of snow dump and got the tube up to work at 6:00am instead of sleep!

mkendall
February 7th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I'm rooting for the Colts to give the Saints their comeuppance for all the cheaps shot in the NFC Championship.

jfloydb
February 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I like this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1398361

go Saints!!!

jenaniston
February 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Yes, if the NFL really wanted international exposure for the league then you'd think that they
could dream up moving the kickoff a few hours earlier for this showcase championship game.

yes surprise for me, it's going to be send live on NRK (Norwegian public broadcast)
maybe i take a look, it's night time here then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Broadcasting_Corporation

all of NFL games has been sent live on viasat 3+ all winter.

and from England

. . .
Not to mention it's on overnight (yes, it actually takes all night) here so I'll be in bed.

But, this probably about sums it up best . . .

. . . Actually I don't care as long as I get drunk with my buddies.

Kenny_Strawn
February 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM
but there will be international telecasts around the globe including to Australia, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, U.K. . . .

On Sunday evening in the USA it is the professional football championship - this year being held in Miami, Florida . . .

English rock stars The Who are the halftime show . . .

Super Bowl XLIV - who's it gonna be to carry off the Lombardi trophy . . . Saints or Colts ?

Jennifer: I will wait to see who my family likes, considering I live in Orange County, CA, not New Orleans or Indianapolis.

On second thought: Who do you like?

Mustard
February 7th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Go Colts!!

I'm a Colts fan by default, as I have many life-long friends in Indiana. :)

Uncle Spellbinder
February 7th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Saints by 3

http://i49.tinypic.com/29xtenk.jpg

Kenny_Strawn
February 7th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Saints by 3

http://i49.tinypic.com/29xtenk.jpg

There was talk about the Saints at my school ('http://eths.svusd.org/'), and I joined the bandwagon there: Considering I am Christian, might as well vote for them.

jfloydb
February 7th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Both teams are on the field warming-up. 20 minutes and counting until kick-off. Go Saints!

hanzomon4
February 8th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Who DAT! Say dem saints gonna when dat superbowl?!

nelson2006
February 8th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Colts!!!:popcorn:

Kenny_Strawn
February 8th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Colts!!!:popcorn:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8790466&postcount=51

jfloydb
February 8th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Halftime: The Colts are dominating! The Saints had better make some adjustments! But the score is 10 to 6. C'mon Saints!

ratcheer
February 8th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I think the Saints dominated the second quarter.

Tim

jfloydb
February 8th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I think the Saints dominated the second quarter.

Tim

Your right. But I'm still shook-up from the first quarter...

Now an on-side kick! Saints Football!!!

sandyd
February 8th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Saints: Colts
31 : 17

Sporkman
February 8th, 2010, 04:08 AM
That was a great game!

Kenny_Strawn
February 8th, 2010, 04:24 AM
That was a great game!

Yeah, I heard the Saints won. My folks at school will be happy. So am I :D

mamamia88
February 8th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Saints got lucky just saying

Uncle Spellbinder
February 8th, 2010, 04:32 AM
:roll:

hanzomon4
February 8th, 2010, 04:48 AM
As a Louisiana native... I can't believe it!!!!

Simian Man
February 8th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I'm very happy with the Saints win. One of the most enjoyable Super Bowls I can remember!

I'm rooting for the Colts and I would bet on them. The Saints have a great offense, but the Colts have a great offense and defense.

I tried to tell ya :).

Stan_1936
February 8th, 2010, 05:28 AM
That's the beauty of sport! It teaches you how to lose. Go watch a Celebrity Dancing show and just see how the "actors" behave(throw tantrums) when they lose......compare that to the (classy) reaction of an ex-athlete when he/she loses.

.....the Colts have a great offense and defense.

Hahahahaha!!!! I needed that!

In the time that Peyton Manning has played for them, the Colts haven't had a good defense!

witeshark17
February 8th, 2010, 05:29 AM
It was a nice and well played game; a joy to watch! Congratz to the Saints! :KS

Simian Man
February 8th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Another great thing about the Saints winning is that it breaks the so-called Tampa Bay Curse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers#Tampa_Bay_Curse). No team until the Saints has ever lost to the Bucs (my home-town team) and gone on to win the Super Bowl that year.

In the time that Peyton Manning has played for them, the Colts haven't had a good defense!

I agree. Any defence looks good against the Jets or the Ravens :).

OrangeCrate
February 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I think the Colts will win by a large margin.

<what?>

Oh.

Well, never mind then.

coolbrook
February 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
A very good game.

jenaniston
February 8th, 2010, 06:06 PM
A very good game.

Saints'# 6 is a former Mechanical engineering major at SMU . . .

"as The Who’s Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend rocked the halftime show,
23-year-old rookie kicker Thomas Morstead sat petrified in the Saints’ locker room."

pretty cool that their plan all along was to run the "Ambush" play . . .

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/onsidekick.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/pileup.jpg

Saints’ onside decision ‘terrified’ rookie kicker

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkYJjzrXv1hnSTPfTGbFMEo5nYcB?slug=jh-onsidekick020710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

" the Saints marched downfield in short order, with Drew Brees completing four straight passes
before connecting with Pierre Thomas on a 16-yard touchdown strike to put New Orleans on top for the first time, 13-10.

jenaniston
February 8th, 2010, 09:53 PM
An aggressive “ambush” boosted Saints to title

. . . New Orleans rips it away

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35291381/ns/sports-super_bowl_xliv/

Payton was so sure he was going to call the play, he told the officials before the game.
They asked Payton what the kick would look like if it was called. He said, “It’s not an if.”

I'm very happy with the Saints win. One of the most enjoyable Super Bowls I can remember!
. . .

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/onside2.jpg