PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lost gnome session after evolution uninstall / deinstall

horstkotte
February 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I just wanted to write this down in case somebody else ends up like me this morning.
I had uninstalled evolution recently and not rebooted immediately afterwards. When I rebooted this morning suddenly the gnome session had disappeared from one of the login screen options and I was stuck with IceWM.
I found all configuration files still present but gnome would just not be an option as login session.
After fiddling around a little I decided to reinstall package ubuntu-desktop which contained evolution (that's when I remembered I had uninstalled evolution). This fixed the problem and all my original desktop settings (including metacity/compiz) were back to normal :D

I am not sure about the dependency of gnome and evolution but I won't touch it again!

sismo
March 7th, 2010, 02:39 AM
horstkotte:

Thanks for this post, I just got same problem on ubuntu-remix on my wife's netbook, we almost ran out of space and thought can reclaim some from software she is not using (including evolution).

I followed your note and re-install ubuntu-desktop fixed my problem.

Thanks again
Regards.

dannyx
May 20th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Thank horstkotte (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=474780), it works. I also figured out that if you don't want to bring back evolution (or other unnecessary software that will come together with ubuntu-desktop) you can just reinstall gnome-panel only.