PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying the silence...

chewearn
February 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Just spend a few hours disassembling my PC. Vacuum dust from the case, heat sinks and fans. Reapply heat sink paste on the CPU.

CPU temp is now 5 degree C lower and fans are running 1 step down (about 500rpm slower). :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

madnessjack
February 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM
My old work computer used to keep my desk really warm, lol

Dragonbite
February 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I'm tempted to run a line out to the barn and put the servers out there for some free cooling! ;) Makes it darn quiet (in the house) too!

Simian Man
February 4th, 2010, 03:51 PM
My sister had a laptop that overheated so badly, she kept it in our chest freezer while playing games and ran the keybard, mouse and external monitor cables to the desk.

angileon7
February 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Sisters laptop and you worried.. hoo.. i try to create trouble to my sis..!! lol :D

chewearn
February 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM
First time I disassembled the PC since I bought it 3 years ago. It has been slowly falling apart since.

The mini-PCI WIFI card lock-up the PC early on, within a few days; I thought it was driver problem but I swear I could smell chip burning stink. I removed the card, but the stink remained for a few weeks, seemed to be coming from the PSU. But then, the PC chugged along fine, so I forgot about it.

The SD slot of the card reader is not working any more (probably rusted IO contacts).

Then, the onboard ethernet will knock down the entire PC if I transfer large amount of data, so I have to disable it and use a PCI ethernet card.

Recently, the PC would shutdown abruptly for no reason. Switching off the power, wait until the PSU discharge, turn it back on, and it booted fine. But a few days later, sometimes weeks later, it shutdown abruptly again.

I cleaned the PC about once every year, normally before upgrading to new release of Ubuntu. But normal vacuum can't reach inside the CPU heat sink.

This time, I took the risk and diassembled everything. There was an awful amount of dust in there. Hope I didn't killed anything in the process. Else, it should be good for another 3 years.

One of the perks of running Linux, don't have to upgrade to faster CPU every few years. :P